• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

terminology or real problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Agency gives you a decent IR35-friendly contract. Then someone at agency's accounts says that something or other has to be approved by "your line manager". Do you:
    shut up and carry on?
    reply that you don't have one?
    say "that must be me, I'm the director"?

ISTM that you either step into D&C, or annoy the crap out of the people who process your payments by consincing them that your head is up your arse, or take the piss and not get paid.
    This is just a telephone or email conversation with agency back-office staff, right? I'd go with option 1: "shut up and carry on", anything else is going to confuse them.

What matters more is how the "line manager" sees themselves, and you, and how they would respond to a few leading questions from HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
      What, so you expect an additional expense doesnt need client sign off?

I think you know it has to be signed off by someone at the client. As for the agent saying 'line manager,' so what? Its only semantics at the end of the day.
      I believe that I said exactly the opposite: that of course the client has to approve an expense, I am not questioning that. What I did question was the use of the term "line manager".

I do take your point that it's only semantics. But then so is "employer"/"client".
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
        I believe that I said exactly the opposite: that of course the client has to approve an expense, I am not questioning that. What I did question was the use of the term "line manager".

I do take your point that it's only semantics. But then so is "employer"/"client".
        I dont see why you are making an issue of the agent saying 'your line manager.' What the agent says is worth frack all. What matters is your contract and working practices.

Even if you do get investigated for IR35, the client will call whoever is immediately above you on the organisation chart your 'line manager \ manager.'
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          I dont see why you are making an issue of the agent saying 'your line manager.' What the agent says is worth frack all. What matters is your contract and working practices.

Even if you do get investigated for IR35, the client will call whoever is immediately above you on the organisation chart your 'line manager \ manager.'
          Yes, I suppose that's so.
          Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Working...
          X