• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor Accountant + Freeagent?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    There are accountants who support it, but many of the usual suspects don't because it makes life more difficult.
    From a director's point of view it's easier to switch accountants when using a generic system like FreeAgent. Perhaps this is another reason why some accountants might prefer to develop their own proprietary systems.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      From a director's point of view it's easier to switch accountants when using a generic system like FreeAgent. Perhaps this is another reason why some accountants might prefer to develop their own proprietary systems.
      If you leave at a year end then it makes no difference - stop using our portal on 31/03/2013 and start using the SJD spreadsheet on 01/04/2013. Simple.

Most accountants, at least if they're regulated, will always act professionally during handover too. It's not in our interests to make life difficult for clients who want to leave - imagine the stick we'd get on here if we did!

If you really wanted to discourage people from leaving you'd charge them a termination fee. Which some accountants do.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        No other accountants on here use veiled advertising, they just let their posts do the work for them.....
        Apologies re the advertising guys, was not intentional. Noted for future.

Claire valid point, contractors are sometimes bunched together in a one solution fits all. In essence anything that can save them time is a good thing combined with a good accountant like yourself.

Learning every day on this forum.

Comment

We partnered with FreeAgent 3-4 years ago and haven't looked back. Don't really work with any other bookkeeping packages these days.

Every contractor and accountant has their own preferred way of doing things, typically what they're used to. FreeAgent isn't the only way, but it's our preferred way.

I've heard the same thing re SJD, their preference is their spreadsheet, but I believe there is some flexibility in that.

Comment

Some truth in this, esp the first part.

Re the latter part, maybe, but I think it works both ways. Sure, it perhaps makes it harder for clients to leave (as they'll be changing their accountant AND your bookkeeping package)...but surely it also makes businesses who like the bookkeeping package they use but not their accountant less likely to change to you.

Like Clare says if you leave at a year end it shouldn't pose too many problems effectively copy/pasting the trial balance from one package to another...but it's never quite that simple (eg tying up VAT quarters etc), plus you'll lose the historic data.

Comment

Maslins recommendation

I've used Maslins for a couple of years now and find FreeAgent to be very easy to use, and it allows the accountant to offer advice based on my actual financial position in real time. Maslins also proactive in helping me to meet all of the limited company obligations & deadlines, although FreeAgent does also have tax timelines & your owed amounts to keep you honest.

Thumbs up from me to both FreeAgent & Maslins.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojito View Post
                I've used Maslins for a couple of years now and find FreeAgent to be very easy to use, and it allows the accountant to offer advice based on my actual financial position in real time. Maslins also proactive in helping me to meet all of the limited company obligations & deadlines, although FreeAgent does also have tax timelines & your owed amounts to keep you honest.

Thumbs up from me to both FreeAgent & Maslins.
                :-) ...I promise despite the close timescales that this was not me logging out of one CUK account and in to another!

Mojito, cheers, no idea who you are, let me know and I'll send a beer in the post or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
                  If you leave at a year end then it makes no difference
                  Yes, fair point.

Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Yes, fair point.

Back at ya
                    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X