• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment and Tax Free Capital Distribution/Company closure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Assessment and Tax Free Capital Distribution/Company closure

Hi
    Scrambling in a usual last minute fashion to get my 2011/12 SA form in online. I shut my limited company just after the ESC C16 changes last year and extracted the last 8k or so from the company bank account as a tax free capital distribution not requiring HMRC permission.

Question i have is, does this need to be noted on my Self-Assessment form, if so where?
    much appreciated if anyone knows
    cheers

No entry needed, so long as no tax due:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/worksheets/sa150.pdf

See section 7, page trg5

Comment

Thanks v much! The guide you linked has raised another query from me:
      I'm a bit confused about whether I need to fill out an employment page for the Ltd company directorship in this tax year.
      I was employed in a full time job during the whole year. My company existed too until I shut it late in the year but it didn't trade, operate a payroll or pay any dividends. The only income i received was the final (non taxable) distribution.

The guidance notes for page TRG3 suggest I don't need to fill out a specific directorship page if no income but do need to mention the directorship and reason why no employment page needed in a separate "any other info" box. What's confused me is that my SA return from the year before this was done by my (well-known) accountant at the time. They didn't mention the Directorship at all, not even in a note. in the SA return In this year again the company didn't operate but did pay dividends which were included in the income from a service company section.

If I'm making any sense any advice appreciated. I guess I'm worried if the company wasnt mentioned one year then pops up in a mention the next year it may open a can of worms, but i want to do the right thing by the return....
      Last edited by Mr_Z; 31 January 2013, 09:30.

Comment

If you did not take a salary or have any p11d details, then you would not have to complete the employment page for the directorship of your old company.
        "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
          If you did not take a salary or have any p11d details, then you would not have to complete the employment page for the directorship of your old company.
          Cheers, understood i dont have to complete an employment page, but do i need to add an "additional info" page saying why? Guide suggests i do (wording below) but last tax return accountant didnt bother:

You will not need to complete the Employment pages if you:

Held an office (but you were not a director) and only received reimbursed actual out of pocket expenses (no other payments were made to you at all)
          Were a company director and received no payments of any kind or benefits from that directorship
          Held an office or employment but no liability to UK Income Tax arises on those earnings because you were resident, ordinarily resident or domiciled outside the UK. (If you held two or more offices or employments with the same employer or associated employers and earnings from, say, one are chargeable to UK Income Tax but earnings from the other are not, you should complete an Employment page for both or all the associated employments. If you are unsure, contact HM Revenue & Customs for advice.)
          If any of the above applies to you, add why you are not completing an Employment page in the 'Any other information' field at the end of the 'Fill in your return' section and give the name of the particular directorship you are not submitting a page for.

Comment

Working...
          X