• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting property ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting property ?

Hi I am new to this forum , can anyone answer this question? If I am renting a property for the duration of my contract can I claim the entire amount plus council tax through my expenses or claim it through my self assessment at the end of the year?

Primary residence

Im not an accoutant, but It hink if the property is NOT your primary residence then its claimable.

ie, you live in nottingham, maintain a house/flat there. You take a contract in dundee that you travel up to monday, returning to nottignham on friday, then I think you can claim for the dundee flat.

I dont think you can "move house" to dundee and claim that though. You need to be able to demonstrate a primary residence elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by pickle
      I dont think you can "move house" to dundee and claim that though. You need to be able to demonstrate a primary residence elsewhere.
      ...but you can claim relocation expenses, which can work out cheaper overall since there are no travelling / secondary accom costs involved. Depends how long the contract is of course.

Comment

Working...
      X