• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self Assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TOSH1 View Post
    Mine is just salary and dividends.
    No expense re-imbursements?

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan SJD Accountancy View Post
      Just to add, I have done an SA online using HMRC's site and I wouldn't recommend using it.

Their site makes it so much longer than it has to be IMO. Even if you will only be putting on salary and dividends.
      I would agree with this the HMRC SA online is terrible in my opinion and the number of people i know who do it themselves and end up taking hours and kicking there computer!

If it is salary and dividends it should be straightforward.

Although why is your tax return not included within your monthly fee that you pay to your accountant ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah at Smith Craven View Post
        I would agree with this the HMRC SA online is terrible in my opinion and the number of people i know who do it themselves and end up taking hours and kicking there computer!

If it is salary and dividends it should be straightforward.

Although why is your tax return not included within your monthly fee that you pay to your accountant ?
        It isn't in mine either. I pay them to do my company accounting, it could be a reasonable assumption that personal accounting wouldn't fall in to this, but then also reasonable it will be needed and easily done so why not add it in. No strong argument either way I guess.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          It isn't in mine either. I pay them to do my company accounting, it could be a reasonable assumption that personal accounting wouldn't fall in to this, but then also reasonable it will be needed and easily done so why not add it in. No strong argument either way I guess.

Are you sure it's not included? It says 'personal taxation' is included on SJD site, although I admit I didn't actually speak to them when choosing my own accountant.

Comment

I've been filling in SA tax returns myself for years (As Self Employed) before I turned myself into a Ltd company. This is my first year of being a limited company and my accountant would charge me to do my personal tax return on top of what I pay him to do my company accounts. The truth is, I don't see what the problem is. Filing my online tax return now takes me about 30 mins tops.

However, I would maybe suggest paying for the 1st year. It just happened that my father was a chartered accountant before he retired so I used to fill them in with him the first couple of years. Now I know more than him as he's been retired for 10+ years but once you've got the hang of it, it's easy

Comment

NW do your personal return as part of the package. Like someone said though, its fairly straightforward if its just contracting salary and dividend income anyway.

If you've got rental income/overseas investments then its more complicated. Pretty sure even NW would charge more in this case.

Currently trying to do tax return for the Mrs. Shes got her own job, my dividend income plus she runs a business as sole trader. Not easy. But accountants want > £400 to do this.

Previous years it was set up as a partnership and I did get an accountant to do a basic end of year acounts, plus partnership plus personal tax returns. But I found they made so many mistakes I ended up spending ages anyway... Mrs business only makes about £4K per year anyway so it seems a lot to spend 10% on accountants fees.

(BTW -this wasnt NW - it was a local accountant!)
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
                Don't forget to submit your GROSS dividend...
                If you've got an accountant they should be able to give this to you. Just ask them to split out Net Dividends + tax credit = Gross dividend.

Comment

Working...
                X