• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC to give freelance staff contracts after tax review

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all, Long time browser of this forum but 1st time posting on it.

This whole thing with the BBC and loan out companies could well become an issue in the long term. Whilst I do not work in the IT contracting field, I do work in the TV and Film industry and it's been a long running thing that people set up limited companies throughout the industry. Yes, a lot of the conversation within these articles is directed at the on screen talent, I wonder how much longer it will be until this starts affecting all the freelance crew as well.

I am one of these freelance crew, and whilst I am not too scared about IR35, all these reports about the Beeb are probably going to have a long term effect on people like myself.

All these newspaper articles however, could end up scaremongering these corporations to no longer accept Ltd's as a way to pay their freelance workers. I provide my own equipment, work on contracts that vary from 1 day to 6 months but are very rarely above the 6 - 8 week mark and I usually work for at least 4 companies in any one year, sometimes working on more than 1 job at a time. However, I do get told by my superiors where I have to be and at what time, it's just very rare that my Superiors work directly for the BBC, they are usually freelance workers themselves.

Anyway, I will keep looking at these reports until HMRC come up with a definite response.

Sorry if this doesn;t make too much sense, just waiting patiently for my wife to go into labour so pretty tired

Comment

Working...
    X