• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

VAT Advice for Contract UK LTD, UK Agency, Irish Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VAT Advice for Contract UK LTD, UK Agency, Irish Company

Hi, I seem to have got into a bit of a minefield with my first contract and would like some advice regarding charging VAT.

I have set up a UK Ltd Company (Contractor), am contracted to a UK based agency (Company), for the purpose of providing service in Ireland(Client).

It is a 6 month contract, which by itself will not push me past the VAT threshold, but any extensions or extra contracts will.

My simplistic reading of the HMRC site and understanding of the concepts lead me to believe that I should append a charge of VAT to my invoices.

My accountant says yes, I do
    The agency says no, I don't.

How do I begin unravelling this? Anything that helps me understand this better would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rontus

You might want to have a look at this article which is on the CUK Website

Contractors' Questions: Does UK VAT cover Irish agents? :: Contractor UK

Basically if the place of supply is Ireland and your company is registered in the UK then you do not charge VAT on your sales invoices.

Where is the place of supply? ( who do you invoice?)

I hope this helps

Comment

I am going via a UK agent with an EU end client and I charge VAT. You are invoicing another UK company after all (not the end client).

My agency agrees with this (and in fact insists on it), as do HMRC when I called to verify this a little while back. Can't see why Ireland would be any different, as it's still EU/non-UK.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Rontus View Post
        It is a 6 month contract, which by itself will not push me past the VAT threshold, but any extensions or extra contracts will.
        Hang on, just seen this. Are you actually VAT registered? If not, then you can't charge VAT...

Comment

Resolved!

Originally posted by Jeremiah at Smith Craven View Post
          You might want to have a look at this article which is on the CUK Website

Contractors' Questions: Does UK VAT cover Irish agents? :: Contractor UK

Basically if the place of supply is Ireland and your company is registered in the UK then you do not charge VAT on your sales invoices.

Where is the place of supply? ( who do you invoice?)

I hope this helps
          Thanks for that Jeremiah.

I will be invoicing an agency in the UK.

The agency now informs me they will now accept VAT on my invoices, and ultimately they will then apply to have them refunded.

I think that puts me in the same scenario as the contractor in your link, once their agency (point of invoice) opened an office in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by captainham View Post
            Hang on, just seen this. Are you actually VAT registered? If not, then you can't charge VAT...
            In the process, will have the reg no in 6-8 weeks

Comment

I am going via a UK agent with an EU end client and I charge VAT. You are invoicing another UK company after all (not the end client).

My agency agrees with this (and in fact insists on it), as do HMRC when I called to verify this a little while back. Can't see why Ireland would be any different, as it's still EU/non-UK.

HTH.
              I'm 98% sure thats correct - the 2% of me would want to check, as EC vat rules rules changed about 18 months ago

The PSC <> agent and agent <> client vat status won't be the same due to client being EC based, but that doesn't effect the PSC <> agent which is all UK.

I read it as if OP wasn't registered in which case, yes, no VAT charge till then.

Comment

If indeed you are not registered yet for VAT, but plan on doing so soon, this thread might have a bit of useful info for such a scenario:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1616333

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your comments, very informative!

Cheers, Rontus

Comment

Working...
                  X