• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Some advice please regarding where I stand??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some advice please regarding where I stand??

Sorry for the long post and possible grammar errors. But I wanted to give as much information as possible. I hope you will read and give me some advice.

I work for a non profit making company that supplies support to our local NHS sites.

There are currently 4 contracts on sight 3 of us have been there for over 3 years, more or less continuously under different contracts, and the other has been there only 7months.

2 of us where paid for by the trust over and above the money they pay for the rest. We where for the last two 3 month contracts I was being paid for out of a project budget, at the last round of renewals my colleague was told that they would not fund her but at that time someone else had left so she was give that job and was now being paid for by the company and not the trust.

This renewal 3 long timers are up for renewal, at the same time one of the permanent members of staff is being seconded some where else for 9 months.

I asked to take his post as it the same job, and I new that funding for me might go as the trust is already looking loose people else where. When I approached my manger he told me that there is funding for me as there are plenty of projects going on, this was not in writing though. Then last week I found out that one of the contracts from our sms desk has been give the job, as his post has been made permanent and he did not want to take it less money. That was fine at the time as I thought I would be extended. It did seem a bit strange as we where told that some post might go but not sure when.

To day I find out that all the other contracts in our office have got extension for another 3 months when I spoke to my boss to find out about mine he went of to find out from the trust and I then found out that they are not funding me.

The other post that has been offered to the guy from the sms desk was not advertised, my boss has verbally told me that he would have offered the post to me had he known my contract was not to be renewed by the trust.

Can any one tell me where I stand, the job I’m doing is still there, I feel I should have been offered that job first as the other guy has only been with us 9months, My boss should have waited for written confirmation before offering the job to someone else. I have been offered another job but only for 3months doing a role out project some where else. I have told him I did not want to do that job and felt I should have been offered the other post.

Regardless of weather the other guy’s contract run out this week, in my option it’s just hard luck if the trust did renew me and when he went back to ask the other guy he might have said sorry got another job lined up. That would have been my boss hardluck. He has told me he going to try and offer this job to the new member who's only been with us 7months plus he straight from unaversaty, and the job would be nearer to where he lives.
    Last edited by james; 16 June 2006, 19:42.

What does your contract say? I'll warrant you a chip to a bagful there's no mention of you getting first dibs on any positions.

The client pays their money and they takes their choices, which includes offering positions to whoever they like or letting go whoever they don't like or can't afford.

Comment

not sure

thanks for you reply not sure about that one, I did here that mangement had spoken to a lawer last year about somthing and he told them that anyone working for 18months or more has some more rights as a contractor. I my self have not herd of that one before

I would have thought though not advertising the post is illegal.
      Last edited by james; 16 June 2006, 21:16.

Comment

Wrong on both counts I'm afraid.

Comment

thanks

On the lawer front I thought I might be.

Is it worth me arguing this with upper magment if I get no where on monday. I would have thought the last in First out aproch would count for something.

We are all on the same rate and I Do my fare share of the work, interms of calls closed, Im third, only behind 2 of our other contractors.

Comment

Well, there's the old principle of "if you don't ask, you don't get", but Dalek Supreme is correct, you don't have a leg to stand on if they tell you to poke off.

Comment

I did

I did though, thats the problem every one on the contractors currently her was supprised that the other guy had been offered the job.

Comment

Well, that's business for you. They pays their money and they takes their choices and, in this case, that's not you.

Not being rude or anything, but prior to being a contractor were you exclusively a public sector permie? That's pretty much the only sector left where staff believe that simply having been there for a while entitles them to something.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

nope

nope but,

The last couple of times my contract reneiwed was covering a guy doing a project paid for by the trust. He has now been given a secondment for 9months somewhere else

If my contract was not conferemed in writting by the trust to my boss, why was I not give the change to apply for the other job, when he does not wish to loose me. The job was not advertised in anyway and it came as a shock to most off us that someone had been offered it.

Would not mind so much if that job had not been on offer.

Comment

Hi James,

My advice is:
                    1. Nobody owes you anything in life, ever, whether you run the company yourself or you are the lowest temp on the ladder.
                    2. The best / most worthy person generally will not get the job. The one who puts a twinkle in the eye of the hirer does.
                    3. Learn how to communicate, both verbally and grammatically. It shows you care and people will listen to you. For this reason alone, I got bored and did not read through all of your post.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Working...
                    X