• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long term deposit for training course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long term deposit for training course

All,

Thinking about reserving a spot on a training course which wont run in the current company year.

I can't think of an issue but anyone see a problem with paying the deposit this company year and the remainder of the amount and attending the course in another company year?

I only ask as I've not actually received anything, apart from a confirmation and invoice for deposit until I attend the course.

*just checking I'm not being stupid*

NLUK Disclaimer
    Yes I've googled and yes I'll double check with my accountant and yes I know that the course needs to relate to current role and be wholly and exclusively etc etc
    Anti-bedwetting advice

Can't see a problem with it.

It's an expense this year, and if the course gets cancelled and your deposit is refunded next year then it's just a supplier rebate.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Notascooby View Post
      All,

Thinking about reserving a spot on a training course which wont run in the current company year.

I can't think of an issue but anyone see a problem with paying the deposit this company year and the remainder of the amount and attending the course in another company year?

I only ask as I've not actually received anything, apart from a confirmation and invoice for deposit until I attend the course.

*just checking I'm not being stupid*

NLUK Disclaimer
      Yes I've googled and yes I'll double check with my accountant and yes I know that the course needs to relate to current role and be wholly and exclusively etc etc
      No. No issue at all. The accounting treatment etc is what your accountant will take care of.

Comment

Thanks for the sanity check.
        Anti-bedwetting advice

Comment

Can't see anything contentious there.

If the deposit is quite sizeable, then might be worth prepaying it in the accounts (ie putting it as an asset on the balance sheet). This will then be released when you actually undertake the course, so the cost hits the P&L when you do it.

Also has the added benefit that if the course doesn't go ahead for whatever reason and your deposit gets refunded, you don't have a staff training expense one year, then a refund the next.

I wouldn't bother if the deposit is small fry though (eg <£100).

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            Can't see anything contentious there.

If the deposit is quite sizeable, then might be worth prepaying it in the accounts (ie putting it as an asset on the balance sheet). This will then be released when you actually undertake the course, so the cost hits the P&L when you do it.

Also has the added benefit that if the course doesn't go ahead for whatever reason and your deposit gets refunded, you don't have a staff training expense one year, then a refund the next.

I wouldn't bother if the deposit is small fry though (eg <£100).
            I would be inclined to do the same.

Comment

Working...
            X