• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel stay.. Not strictly necessary but still for the business, valid expense?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Shoes was working on his company's products so I presume he was working on the company's own software rather than on client software.

Doesn't matter but I would come up with a better story than having to go somewhere for creative inspiration.
    I used to go in the car, turn the music speakers up super loud and listen to heavy metal while working on technical concepts or presentations. Can I claim for CDs and a super woofer?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I used to go in the car, turn the music speakers up super loud and listen to heavy metal while working on technical concepts or presentations. Can I claim for CDs and a super woofer?
      Didn't realise your role for that client involved listening to loud music.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        But the key point which you have the wrong way round is in bold. He went away and while he was he did some work. He went for personal reasons and did work there. He didn't go to because work dictated it.
        I went away in order to do the work. MF has made/repeated the points for me. Im interested in the opinions of the congregation, but reasoned ones are best! And those from qualified sources, such as accountants. Also those that are the same as mine, of course

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        And again, bottom line, whatever we think... you really think HMRC will allow this. They let one person pull this off their world will turn to tulip. It will make MP's look like tax angels if they let this one go.
        Bizarrre nonsense, except you're right about HMRC opinion being the one that matters.

It's a little fuzzy which was why I asked, but I've yet to hear a rational argument as to why what I actually did cannot be put through the books, and a few that are rational suggesting it is fine.

Thanks!

Comment

My 2c (as a qualified accountant, but don't think that makes my views here more valid than contractors) is that I don't think you should put it through.

As has been suggested above, there are lots of places you can rent an office for the day/week/whatever...or you could go to a Starbucks/similar and use their wifi if you just want a change of scenery.

Ask the man on the street what a hotel is for, the majority would likely say to sleep when you're away from home, or words to that effect. If you were just using a conference room/similar in the hotel during the day, IMO that would be fine...why do you need to sleep there (where the bulk of the cost is incurred)?

As NLUK suggests, where do you draw the line. Would your creative juices be even better if the view from the hotel window was of palm trees and sandy beaches? Possibly...in which case why not go for the Maldives.

Comment

Originally posted by shoes View Post

Bizarrre nonsense, except you're right about HMRC opinion being the one that matters.
            So instead of asking people on an internet forum, have you considered asking HMRC. Do don't have to say "This is Shoes Ltd can I claim for this hotel stay", just ask anonymously & / or as if it is something being considered as opposed to already done.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              My 2c (as a qualified accountant, but don't think that makes my views here more valid than contractors) is that I don't think you should put it through.

As has been suggested above, there are lots of places you can rent an office for the day/week/whatever...or you could go to a Starbucks/similar and use their wifi if you just want a change of scenery.

Ask the man on the street what a hotel is for, the majority would likely say to sleep when you're away from home, or words to that effect. If you were just using a conference room/similar in the hotel during the day, IMO that would be fine...why do you need to sleep there (where the bulk of the cost is incurred)?

As NLUK suggests, where do you draw the line. Would your creative juices be even better if the view from the hotel window was of palm trees and sandy beaches? Possibly...in which case why not go for the Maldives.
              I worked in my hotel room for four days when I was in the US week before last. I ask you this, if this is so obviously so cut and dried. I expensed both weekends I was at my hotel in the US. I worked 1 out of those 4 days. I'd rather have gone home but logistics make it impossible. Plenty of people work in hotels. If it's just a bed, what is there to say you should choose the cheapest location or the Ritz. Non-sensical.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

IMHO HMR&C would view this as not being 'necessary' and therefore would not allow it. If you are away from home because your client site location necessitates you staying in a hotel or B&C that is one thing but to chose to change your location as it has a preferred ambiance is a choice and not a necessity. I think that, in order to be able to justify the cost as an expense, you would have to prove that the change of location had a significant impact on your ability to complete the project and I cannot think what proof you could offer. I would also suggest that the improvement in peace of mind would also be considered as duality of purpose.
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I worked in my hotel room for four days when I was in the US week before last. I ask you this, if this is so obviously so cut and dried. I expensed both weekends I was at my hotel in the US. I worked 1 out of those 4 days. I'd rather have gone home but logistics make it impossible. Plenty of people work in hotels. If it's just a bed, what is there to say you should choose the cheapest location or the Ritz. Non-sensical.
                  That's paying for a hotel in the US because it didn't make sense to commute back on a daily basis. I don't see that's remotely the same as the OP's situation.

Also, I wasn't saying it was cut and dried, just giving my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X