• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Last Contact Double Paid Me...Now They Want It Back!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got overpaid £1000 permie salary once. It was meant for guy in company with same name as me.

Spoke to payroll. They said they'd deduct it next month - they didn't. Spoke to them again, same thing happened. 3rd time - same again so I gave up.

Left the company a few months later and never ended up paying it back....
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Got overpaid £1000 permie salary once. It was meant for guy in company with same name as me.

Spoke to payroll. They said they'd deduct it next month - they didn't. Spoke to them again, same thing happened. 3rd time - same again so I gave up.

Left the company a few months later and never ended up paying it back....
      Bit different though isn't it, you attempted to pay it back and they failed to recover it. At some point you have to say ok and keep it. Big difference to "not knowing" you had 3 extra deposits in your account totalling £7000!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
        Bit different though isn't it, you attempted to pay it back and they failed to recover it. At some point you have to say ok and keep it. Big difference to "not knowing" you had 3 extra deposits in your account totalling £7000!!!
        Yep. Conscience is clear on that one.

Agency did same to me last year. I told them - they didnt do anything. 3rd time they did do it which was lucky for them because that was their last reminder! Bit gutted about that ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
          Yeh. With that one I think the payroll person in the company decided themselves to keep that quiet and let it slide rather than admit they'd made the cock up in the first place. suits me.

But then again same permie company managed to cock up my tax every year without fail. Not the best.

Comment

I'm not sure your conscience should really be clear, relying on them to dock it from your wages is not the same as trying to give them a cheque.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Absolutely pay it back. If not for the moral/legal reasons but don't burn bridges. You may want to work for the firm or the staff elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                I'm not sure your conscience should really be clear, relying on them to dock it from your wages is not the same as trying to give them a cheque.
                ???

Seriously? I phone payroll and tell them "you've paid me £1000 extra this month instead of the other mr p. candy. What do you want to do about it?"

They say "OK, sorry about that, we'll just take it out next month". "OK fine be me" says I.

Next month - "Ummm, remember that £1000?" Payroll people - "Oops. We'll definitely do it next month"

Same again.

So if it was you, you'd write out a cheque for £1000 and take it down there? Sod that.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Is it coincidence that your name means 'Good night' in Greek? You seem to be as bad at managing your money as they do.
                  I wonder if he is Greek? Probably not, It's not like they have a reputation for spending other peoples money and not wanting to pay it back.

Comment

Talking about not keeping track of your pay, I was reading some book on what life's like working in the City, and the author commented that some people only stay on in their jobs because they want access to top notch information/data feeds for their personal trading. One guy was investigated by the police after an HR error meant his salary was for several months paid to someone of the same name who'd left the company. The police thought he must be in cahoots with the other guy, because how could someone not notice they hadn't been paid their salary for several months? The guy genuinely had so much money and cared so little about his salary that he simply hadn't noticed.

Comment

If the OP gets a CCJ, they can forget contracts in the financial sector (assuming they would apply there). Why cut off a potential stream of clients (who provide a large % of contracts).

Still, with financial management like that, they may get a top job

Comment

Working...
                      X