• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

opt out

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opt out

Hello,

I just started a new contract, which is the latest in a series spaning a couple of years. Usually I sign the opt-out agreement straight away, but there have been a couple of contracts where I couldn't dump the agent and go direct and it meant the contract went dead.

The agency says I don't have to sign the opt-out but that I may compromise my IR35 status by doing so....

I wonder if anyone knows if this is actually the case or if this is just some bull they tell you to get you to sign it. Of course I dont' want to complicate IR35 but for some reason I think it might not make a difference and would like to keep my options open later.

Any advice or experiences welcome, I got to decide pretty soon.

Thanks,
    Matt

Are you taking my name in vain?

If anything, opting out strengthens your IR35 case rather than weakens it but, as always, what counts are your working conditions.

- Do you just turn up every day and do whatever your client tells you to do?

- Does your client tell you not just what to do, but how to do it?

- Does your client have to pay you even if there is no work to do?

If you can answer 'no' to all of these, you have a defensible IR35 position almost regardless of whether you opted in, out, or shook it all about.

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
      Are you taking my name in vain?

If anything, opting out strengthens your IR35 case rather than weakens it but, as always, what counts are your working conditions.

- Do you just turn up every day and do whatever your client tells you to do?

- Does your client tell you not just what to do, but how to do it?

- Does your client have to pay you even if there is no work to do?

If you can answer 'no' to all of these, you have a defensible IR35 position almost regardless of whether you opted in, out, or shook it all about.

You name in vain? Only if your not illuminati.

Thanks for the info, I was never exactly sure of my status, no one can give me a straight answer. Each contract is slightly different but they all have substitution clauses, equipment & location & hours independence.

Do you think it is worth joining the Professional Contractors Group, or getting insurance in case of an IR35 issue. I am fairly sure my contracts fall outside, but because of it being a grey area I get worried sometimes. I would hate for a legal/accounting case to kill my company so to speak.

Thanks for any wisdow you can pass on.

Comment

Originally posted by magister
        Do you think it is worth joining the Professional Contractors Group, or getting insurance in case of an IR35 issue.
        Yes, worth every penny and then some. Incidentally, membership of the PCG includes IR35 insurance, amongst other things...
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
        X