• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing Company soon claiming for laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As Clare says, you'd need to pay market value (inc VAT) for the laptop when you took it from the company...so doing it shortly before you close down would see negligible benefit.

ASB - don't really understand your point re flat rate scheme...in my mind that would surely hurt you further, as you wouldn't be able to reclaim VAT when you bought it but would still have to charge VAT when you sold it (NB if it was £2k+, I still think you'd struggle to legitimately reclaim VAT, as it's clearly bought with resale in mind rather than long term use in the business).

Possibly buying it, then de-registering for VAT, then selling it to yourself could benefit. You'd only have to pay over output VAT when deregistering on stock/assets if the VAT is over £1k...but I'd feel uncomfortable allowing one of our clients to do this if it was as intentional as is suggested.

In short - just don't do it!

Comment

Go ahead, make their day!
      I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        ASB - don't really understand your point re flat rate scheme...in my mind that would surely hurt you further, as you wouldn't be able to reclaim VAT when you bought it but would still have to charge VAT when you sold it (NB if it was £2k+, I still think you'd struggle to legitimately reclaim VAT, as it's clearly bought with resale in mind rather than long term use in the business).
        In the circumstances outlined you are right. The vat would be non reclaimable but would need to be charged on the disposal, so it would be worse.

Really I was just trying to highlight the maximum available financial benefit - even if it were accepted - is pretty small. (Probably negative on the FRS).

Comment

Working...
        X