• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Share Investment, Discussion & Tips

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I have always held shares long term but the only mining share I invested in lost so much I cut my losses.
    Cheer up mate, at least that does not make you a dirty spekulant... but you are a mug!

Comment

Lloyds finally paying a dividend, albeit it a small one, added to the special dividend that PLUS500 also announced and the regular results from BATS and BDEV its been a very good week, 6 months into the year and yield is already 4.8% on capital/3.8% on current value of portfolio
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Anyone know of a source to download dividend and yield data for UK stocks?

I'm building a basic portfolio spreadsheet and getting live data from Yahoo Finance,

http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=

which works well for price data but for UK stocks the divi and yield fields come back populated with 'N/A', so I'm looking for an equivalent for the yields.

Note I mean download rather than scrape from a web page, and am averse to paying a fee, being a lazy and tight kind of a guy...

TIA,
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

So is now a bad time to buy shares, if you don't have a specific company in mind? I want to stick a few k in my shares ISA but with the FTSE being so high I'm more nervous.

My current holdings are all in hi-tech funds, mostly US-based.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            So is now a bad time to buy shares, if you don't have a specific company in mind? I want to stick a few k in my shares ISA but with the FTSE being so high I'm more nervous.

The crash commeth.
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Depends what is your strategy? Long term or short term? Either way yes its a good time, as long as you pick the right shares. I personally am long term, 20 years before I need to cash in so if there is a crash in the short term I know it will recover, it always does
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                The crash commeth.
                Haven't you been saying that for about 10 years? Along with WW3, hyperinflation from QE, etc?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So is now a bad time to buy shares
                  ?

If I could answer that definitively, I'd be a lot richer man. My own approach, long term buy and hold, high yield stocks, is blind to market conditions and depends on buying as soon as a tranche of cash from dividends and contributions reaches a threshold that makes purchasing worthwhile once transaction costs, spreads etc are taken into account. The threshold is currently 2K. Its served me well, indeed it's only really gone wrong when I've succumbed to the temptation to 'tinker'.

At the moment I like National Grid, BP and Vodafone .....
                  My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

I wonder if election uncertainty will cause a dip in share prices - stick a few K in the ISA now, and buy when it looks like Millipede and SNP are going to be in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      I wonder if election uncertainty will cause a dip in share prices - stick a few K in the ISA now, and buy when it looks like Millipede and SNP are going to be in charge.

Very good point. If the elections result in a landslide for Tories, the stocks might go up.

If Millipede and SNP form an alliance, stocks and £ will crash beyond belief. The borrowing will go through the roof.

Also there is the thought of Ed Balls as chancellor. Now if that does not frighten the investors, I dont know what will.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X