• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student Loan Deferment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Loan Deferment

If you're treading the £5k + dividend route, has anyone successfully deferred their student loan?

Cheers,

Tim Haughton

I tend to just fire myself regularly (between contracts). I haven't had to pay anything back since March last year.

Ironically I want to pay it off but it's inconvenient the way that they collect it.
    Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Yes. It was an old-style student loan. I don't know if that matters. My salary was set a few quid below the deferral limit for that very reason.

Comment

Student Loan

You should consider consolidating your student loan to lower the payments if thats the issue. It helped me lower my payments and get my finances in order. If you need any help consolidating try google.com or let me know.

Comment

dont consolidate your student loan, it only charges an interest rate of like 2 or 3%, you won't get a private loan this cheap...

I pay myself a directors wage and dividends, and I've not paid any student loan repayments since I started my own limited company.
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

Originally posted by chris79
            dont consolidate your student loan, it only charges an interest rate of like 2 or 3%, you won't get a private loan this cheap...

I pay myself a directors wage and dividends, and I've not paid any student loan repayments since I started my own limited company.
            Be careful - if you have income (not salary) over the threshold, then you should be paying it back. This includes income from dividends - if you are taking more than the limit (£15k?) then you need to start paying it back.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Now that's interesting.
              I asked just this question of my accountants (SJD) because my wife (company shareholder) has an outstanding student loan.

They told me it was salary which was important rather than income from (say) dividends.

RS

Comment

I thought the repayment was only linked to PAYE, as dividend income is not guaranteed?
                The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

I thought the repayment was only linked to PAYE, as dividend income is not guaranteed?
                  dividends count. In those circumstances it should be calculated through the self assessment form.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles
                    I asked just this question of my accountants (SJD) because my wife (company shareholder) has an outstanding student loan.

They told me it was salary which was important rather than income from (say) dividends.
                    Seems like SJD are mistaken here. This is what the Student Finance website has to say about it, if you pay tax via self assessment and PAYE:

If you are self employed but also work as an employee, are subject to tax at a higher rate or have unearned income from stocks, shares and savings or other sources, you will be required to calculate any student loan repayments due through Self Assessment in addition to any repayments which are deducted through PAYE.
                    This is the same whether it is an old- or new-style loan. The only difference is how they calculate how much needs to be repaid.

You need to start paying, if you are over the threshold, which is currently £15000 pa.

More information can be found here for old loans, or here for new loans.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X