• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month Rule - Travel Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dagenheis View Post
    I agree that 20% increase is not straightforward.
    If you read Mal's post properly, his hint is to work out the travel costs and add 20% to those, and ask for that kind of increase.

He is not advocating a 20% per day rise, although well done to cojak for getting that one
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Fascinating as all this is, the actual wording is "substantially different". Getting to a different main line terminus , for example, would probably do it (as in Paddington vs Victoria, not Clapham Junction vs Waterloo) .
      I hope people don't take your post literally as I know some changes in main line terminus won't work for some people as they aren't "substantially different" journeys due to where they live/are based i.e. Euston vs Kings Cross, Waterloo vs Victoria
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

On this subject, is there any issue with claiming for a season ticket?

I read somewhere that HRMC might claim that it wasn't 'exclusively' for business if I was possibly able to use it at weekends, etc?

Ideally I would just expense a yearly season ticket. As it is a return to the City, private use would be likely zero.

Comment

Originally posted by richto View Post
          On this subject, is there any issue with claiming for a season ticket?

I read somewhere that HRMC might claim that it wasn't 'exclusively' for business if I was possibly able to use it at weekends, etc?

Ideally I would just expense a yearly season ticket. As it is a return to the City, private use would be likely zero.
          While some on here say you can't I suggest you have a look and a read of HMRC guides properly.

There is no problem having season tickets if you can prove they cost less than daily return journeys for your 5 days a week of travel to your temporary place of work.

Just remember though if you get a refund for it as your work stops you need to return the money to the company.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            If you read Mal's post properly, his hint is to work out the travel costs and add 20% to those, and ask for that kind of increase.

He is not advocating a 20% per day rise, although well done to cojak for getting that one
            I didn't get a pay rise on an existing contract. I negotiated the rate on the next contract.

The client grabbed me when they knew I was available, the agent is just there to manage my timesheets and payments.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
            X