• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Implications of Contracting in Canada

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Implications of Contracting in Canada

I'm looking for some advice on contracting in Canada - more specifically in British Columbia and Alberta (the work I'm going to do is spread across these two provinces).

I have just secured a working visa and have made contact with several businesses over there and having Skype/phone interviews which are going well so far - I am looking to make the jump there later this year all things being well.

Does anyone know a good source of info or have any experience in working out there, setting up as a contractor and the tax implications? I am currently contracting in the UK through a UK LTD company.

Many thanks.

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
    I'm looking for some advice on contracting in Canada - more specifically in British Columbia and Alberta (the work I'm going to do is spread across these two provinces).

I have just secured a working visa and have made contact with several businesses over there and having Skype/phone interviews which are going well so far - I am looking to make the jump there later this year all things being well.

Does anyone know a good source of info or have any experience in working out there, setting up as a contractor and the tax implications? I am currently contracting in the UK through a UK LTD company.

Many thanks.
    Here's a good place to start: All Starting a Business Articles | Small Business BC. In Alberta, incorporation is pretty simple too.

The steps are, get a place to live, get a contract, get incorporated, get a bank account, get an accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
      Here's a good place to start: All Starting a Business Articles | Small Business BC. In Alberta, incorporation is pretty simple too.

The steps are, get a place to live, get a contract, get incorporated, get a bank account, get an accountant.
      Thanks for this.

Comment

Thanks for this.
        You're welcome. Enjoy the poutine and pogg eh.

Comment

How did you get on setting up as a contractor in Canada?

Many thanks.
          Hi redgiant,

I wanted to see if I can pick this thread back up. My wife and I have just been approved for PR visas (after a very long application process), and will be moving to Canada, most likely BC, later this year.

It sounds like you were in a fairly similar situation to me before you moved out there - I'm currently contracting as a UK-based LTD. Before I start actively applying for roles, I wondered if you could let me know how you got on with registering as a contractor over in Canada? Did you have to close your UK LTD and open a new one in your chosen province in Canada, or were you able to trade through your UK business? Also, what are the tax implications of doing one or the other?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Worth remembering that different provinces have different taxation rules - so you would need some accountancy help to discern which income was earned in which province and which taxes to pay.

Comment

Working...
            X