• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Balance sheet questions. I might be really thick, but is this right?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance sheet questions. I might be really thick, but is this right?

Hello

Looking over previous year's Limited Company accounts completed by a cheap and friendly accountant I used to use, I note the following from the Balance Sheets:

- Current Liabilities - negative figures. Is this possible? Is it not that a negative liability is simply an asset?

- Balance Sheet from one year to the next. I thought a Balance Sheet was a snapshot of the financial situation at the year-end. Let's say that the year end is 31 March. The figures under 31 March 2009 should look exactly the same whether I am looking at the 2009 return or the 2010 return? Well they don't, and I don't understand why they would not.

Hi,

Liabilities are usually shown as negative (in brackets). Just do a quick sum to check. Current assets less current liabilities = net assets. If your net assets are LARGER than current assets, then that maybe slightly odd (depending on how he has done things.)

I don't understand the second part of your question as you talk about 'returns'. Do you mean annual accounts? So the March 2009 balance sheet figures in the March 2009 accounts should match the March 2009 balance sheet figures reported in the comparative column within the March 2010 account. Is that what you mean?
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

As Greg says above, but just to add that if the balance sheet isn't the same on both sets of accounts it would presumably mean that a prior year adjustment has been made, or they've used the wrong comparatives (or the old set of accounts you're comparing them with were superseded). Which figures are different?
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
        Hi,
        Liabilities are usually shown as negative (in brackets). Just do a quick sum to check. Current assets less current liabilities = net assets. If your net assets are LARGER than current assets, then that maybe slightly odd (depending on how he has done things.)
        Thanks for your reply. Under Current Liabilities, trade creditors is a positive number, and Tax is a negative number. Net Assets is less than Current Assets, so OK there.

Originally posted by Greg@CapitalCity View Post
        I don't understand the second part of your question as you talk about 'returns'. Do you mean annual accounts? So the March 2009 balance sheet figures in the March 2009 accounts should match the March 2009 balance sheet figures reported in the comparative column within the March 2010 account. Is that what you mean?
        Exactly what I mean, sorry for being unclear.

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
          As Greg says above, but just to add that if the balance sheet isn't the same on both sets of accounts it would presumably mean that a prior year adjustment has been made, or they've used the wrong comparatives (or the old set of accounts you're comparing them with were superseded). Which figures are different?
          Thank you. The main thing that is different is the Current Liabilities. But I can see now he has shown a Director's Loan Account on one set but not on the other. The amount in the Director's Loan Account is exactly the difference.

In addition, on one set the "trade debtors" is significantly higher than the figure that I supplied to the accountant. As far as I understand it, that won't affect the tax calculation though, which, to my untrained eye, seems correct.

Comment

Working...
          X