• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving accounts authentication code for companies house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving accounts authentication code for companies house

Hi,
    I have completed my first year of trading and had my accounts prepared by an account. I have agreed and signed the accounts but the accountant now wants the company authentication code to file the accounts at companies house. I thought this code was the electronic signature of the company so I don't feel it is something I should be divulging, and I am happy to forward my abbreviated accounts to companies house myself.

Should I be worried about handing over this code to the accountant? Advice would be welcome. Thanks

It means they can file documents on your behalf, but in order to do so they must have your permission. If anything is done without your permission, it's a criminal offence I believe. It depends on how much you trust your accountant, but it's very common for us to have the code as most clients don't want to have to do everything themselves.
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by mulberryblue View Post
      Hi,
      I have completed my first year of trading and had my accounts prepared by an account. I have agreed and signed the accounts but the accountant now wants the company authentication code to file the accounts at companies house. I thought this code was the electronic signature of the company so I don't feel it is something I should be divulging, and I am happy to forward my abbreviated accounts to companies house myself.

Should I be worried about handing over this code to the accountant? Advice would be welcome. Thanks
      I can understand why you may hesitate, after the recent news regarding dishonest accountants etc, however with Companies House you are only giving authority to file annual accounts and annual returns etc.

Letting your accountant file these documenst will make your life easier but it is your choice.

We file these documents for the vast majority of our clients.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by From: WebFiling <[email protected]>
        The company authentication code is sent by post to the company's registered office address (RO), normally sent within *5 working days.

The Authentication Code is the electronic equivalent of a company officers signature.

Two codes are required to access and submit data via the WebFiling Service, a Security Code and the company Authentication Code.

When you have both codes
        1. Return to the WebFiling Welcome screen https://ewf.companieshouse.gov.uk/ and select 'CONTINUE'.

2. Enter your registered email address and Security Code to sign in.

3. Enter the company number and Authentication Code to proceed.
        In other words:

Authentication Code is what you should have received by post and the accountant needs this to do your filing. He/She will use their own login.

Security Code you received by email and keep to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by mulberryblue View Post
          Hi,

What, so you dont trust your accountant!?

Jesus.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Just to add to what has already been said it does make your life alot easier if us as accountants have the authentication code as we can go into Compaines house and file the accounts online.

I do understand the worries after alot of the recent horror stories about dishonest accountants.

We do file the accounts and annual returns in this way for our clients and have had no issue but i suppose it depends on the relationship you have with your accountant.

You can always file the accounts online yourself or check to see they have been filed etc

Comment

Working...
            X