• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
    My best hope is that the tax tribunal and ombudsmen are not biased :-s
    I wouldn't bank on that - think old school chums, masons, the old boy network, vested interests etc etc. The courts may well be independant but our fairest hearing will be ECHR.

Comment

Originally posted by GBHuhd View Post
      Followed up with my MP today as he promised to hassle Gauke after i sent him the relevant docs, just got an email response but probably will have a letter containing the full waffle as he put it.

He has been sympathetic, but pretty honest in all his replies to me thus far:-

Dear Mr XXXX,

I spoke to Mr Gauke yesterday evening and I am afraid that he said unequivocally that the Treasury has no intention of backing down on this matter.

As you are a busy man, I thought I would spare you any waffle.

Yours,

MP
      The Treasury had no intention of backing down on the Charity tax - but they did.

The Treasury had no intention of backing down on the Pasty tax - but they did.

It's politics - the wind changes every day!
      Last edited by Toocan; 12 June 2012, 18:32.
      There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Turncoat

Followed up with my MP today as he promised to hassle Gauke after i sent him the relevant docs, just got an email response but probably will have a letter containing the full waffle as he put it.

Dear Mr XXXX,

I spoke to Mr Gauke yesterday evening and I am afraid that he said unequivocally that the Treasury has no intention of backing down on this matter.

Yours,

MP
        Let me also tell you what he said when debating this measure in 2008:

The Government are saying, essentially, that they will pass new law if they think that the law is in some way flawed or there is an alternative interpretation of it that they do not like. Rather than allowing the courts to interpret that law, they will rewrite it retrospectively so that it says what they wanted it to say in the first place. Such an approach gives individuals and businesses no reassurance that the law is what they think it is, as it is written down and what has been passed by Parliament. The impression is that it is something that can be changed if not at a whim, at the discretion of the Government retrospectively.

What's the difference?

1. 4 years
        2. From Opposition to Treasury - Career
        3. He is now in possession of the facts

There is a word for it- hypocracy. But as Toocan rightly points out, we're dealing with turncoats and I suspect that they can turn more than once. After all, digging ones heels in against all common sense and logic defies belief - unless to do otherwise would push you off a cliff. I guess it takes time to learn to abseil...

Comment

Food Chain

I hope it's not lost on folks that when you get the likes of Ms Knott answering letters on this, it is a form of flattery. If it were easy to fob us off from an underling, they would. That tells me that if you have to start wheeling out the big guns to address this, then you're concerned.

A point to consider. Before NTRT we were in free fall. That is no disrespect to MontP. We, as in us and control of our fate and destiny.

In a few short weeks we have structure, a purpose, a direction and a mission. I'm sure few would have known how much material had been collated over the last 3 years in the background to help bring some firepower to the matter and with very little help from HMRC FoI requests. Imagine the gold mine that's hidden away from view (for now) that would put a spotlight on those who have been doing the same to us over the last few years.

I'll give you a good reason to be a member of NTRT - Simply that - you are a member. Part of a team. Part of the mission - All the wood behind a single arrow head.

And I'll tell you this - it's easier going to sleep at night knowing that there is an operation that won't let the hounds of hell come knocking in the morning. That won't happen. Not on the NTRT watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Tax_shouldnt_be_taxing View Post
            I hope it's not lost on folks that when you get the likes of Ms Knott answering letters on this, it is a form of flattery. If it were easy to fob us off from an underling, they would. That tells me that if you have to start wheeling out the big guns to address this, then you're concerned.

A point to consider. Before NTRT we were in free fall. That is no disrespect to MontP. We, as in us and control of our fate and destiny.

In a few short weeks we have structure, a purpose, a direction and a mission. I'm sure few would have known how much material had been collated over the last 3 years in the background to help bring some firepower to the matter and with very little help from HMRC FoI requests. Imagine the gold mine that's hidden away from view (for now) that would put a spotlight on those who have been doing the same to us over the last few years.

I'll give you a good reason to be a member of NTRT - Simply that - you are a member. Part of a team. Part of the mission - All the wood behind a single arrow head.

And I'll tell you this - it's easier going to sleep at night knowing that there is an operation that won't let the hounds of hell come knocking in the morning. That won't happen. Not on the NTRT watch.
            Thanks TSBT you always know how to cheer someone up!

I know for sure that I sleep better knowing we have NTRT behind us and that I'm a member of this team!

Comment

Well said TSBT. A Churchillian speach if ever I heard one!

Comment

Before NTRT we were in free fall. That is no disrespect to MontP. We, as in us and control of our fate and destiny.

From their invisible satellite in orbit above Antarctica, TSBT-Man and his NTRT-Force remain ever-vigilant, ready to protect the Earth from evil-doers, so that ordinary folks can sleep soundly in their beds...

Comment

Who is running teh country

Dear Mr XXXX,

Yours,

MP
                  Gauke needs reminding who is running the country. Parliament not the Treasury.

Of course we know the "yes minister" reality, but for Gauke to admit that in spite of his opposition and that of Cameron and Osborne to retrospective legislation when in opposition, he cannot make a decision to "do the right thing" explains the contempt which the electorate has for politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by seadog View Post
                    Gauke needs reminding who is running the country. Parliament not the Treasury.

Of course we know the "yes minister" reality, but for Gauke to admit that in spite of his opposition and that of Cameron and Osborne to retrospective legislation when in opposition, he cannot make a decision to "do the right thing" explains the contempt which the electorate has for politicians.
                    I wonder if its more a case that they're thinking why should they fix this? they know the legislation shouldn't have been implemented, however it has been and the courts have upheld it (so far)...the tories know they would look bad (even though they would be doing the right thing!) in reversing this - the publicity for them wouldn't be good - i.e. labour etc would make it look like the tories are allowing 'tax evaders' to get away with it.

before I'm flamed I know any government should do the right moral thing - however being a realist we need to realise they aren't going to fix this just for that reason - maybe the parliament being misled in introducing this legislation in the first place is best hope we have to getting it changed..?

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
                      I wonder if its more a case that they're thinking why should they fix this? they know the legislation shouldn't have been implemented, however it has been and the courts have upheld it (so far)...the tories know they would look bad (even though they would be doing the right thing!) in reversing this - the publicity for them wouldn't be good - i.e. labour etc would make it look like the tories are allowing 'tax evaders' to get away with it.

before I'm flamed I know any government should do the right moral thing - however being a realist we need to realise they aren't going to fix this just for that reason - maybe the parliament being misled in introducing this legislation in the first place is best hope we have to getting it changed..?
                      That is the problem, getting people to understand that we are NOT Tax Evaders, we have done nothing wrong or illegal.

The message has to be spread that Governing bodies are using underhanded methods to amend the LAW to stitch people up and if this isn't brought to light and put right now who knows who or what it could effect next time.
                      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Working...
                      X