• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
    I have been out all day today but on my return this evening I found a ticking time-bomb on my door mat.

A well known government sponsored terror organisation has claimed responsibility and tell me they have implemented a 1 to 8 week fuse which has already been lit and may go off at any time!

The years in question are y/e 05, 06 & 07.

I was with MP from 2002 to 2006 so it looks like they have omitted the pre-DOTAS years.

What I find most repugnant is the 5% fines on late payments of a fictitious debt. It's simply unacceptable racketeering. Was this legislation really put through by real humans? It's just unbelievable.

I have no way of paying the APN so how can I then pay 5% more ... and then 5% more again a few months later and then 5% more a few months later ...

Hector, Guake, Osborne and Co - GET OFF MY PLANET, YOU ARE NOT WELCOME HERE!!!
    Scientists have just confirmed that David Gauke is not from planet earth...

https://twitter.com/BeenGauked/statu...30369043996673

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
      When did you get your APN warning notice?
      Just shy of 2 weeks. The Letter informing me of its pending arrival said it would arrive within 1 - 8 weeks.

Comment

APN and CTD

I still don't fully understand. I may be a little dense but I would think there are others in the same position as me.

To keep the figures simple:

Suppose I "owe" £100,000 plus £50,000 interest (I wish).
        I purchase a CTD in 2008 for £100,000 so my interest bill post-2008 is currently covered.
        I get an APN for half the amount (without interest) £50,000.
        If I use £50,000 of my CTD to pay this, then I lose that portion of the interest protection that I have built up from 2008 to 2015. And I may have to pay the interest on the APN if the case eventually goes against me?

I'm hoping that I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Retro View Post
          If I use £50,000 of my CTD to pay this, then I lose that portion of the interest protection that I have built up from 2008 to 2015.
          No. The 7 years of interest protection is preserved.

Moreover, paying an APN is like paying on account so no interest accrues.

In effect, all you are doing is converting the CTD to a payment on account.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
            Sounds like they've fluffed the pre-APN letter.

If might be best to wait for the actual APNs before rattling the cage.
            Good advice as always, DR...thanks.

B.

Comment

Brillo was soooo expecting this to be you when I saw it!

BBC News - Arrest after man spends night on roof of Parliament

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post

I thought so too....and he has been quite today?

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post

Much too mild for me.

Comment

I also had no documented letters about having an enquiry open, I wrote to HMRC a couple years ago asking for all documentation regarding their claims.
                    They wrote back saying they couldn't find any off my letters/documentation, but that the system says I owe, I wrote back saying the need to cancel their claim as they can not prove it.
                    They still say I owe.

I reckon once it hits any sort of judicial system, HMRC will show up without any evidence, OR fraudulently make some up.

Comment

Originally posted by weetbix View Post
                      I also had no documented letters about having an enquiry open, I wrote to HMRC a couple years ago asking for all documentation regarding their claims.
                      They wrote back saying they couldn't find any off my letters/documentation, but that the system says I owe, I wrote back saying the need to cancel their claim as they can not prove it.
                      They still say I owe.

I reckon once it hits any sort of judicial system, HMRC will show up without any evidence, OR fraudulently make some up.
                      Sounds like a Subject Access Request as per the DPA would be in order. The ICO have a helpful page and template letter here :

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

They have 40 days to reply (this is under Statute) you can then report them to the ICO if they don't do something about it. The only circumstances under which they can refuse is if in providing information to you they disclose personal information about another individual who has not given their permission for that disclosure, or if disclosure would prejudice an ongoing investigation. ICO actually use HMRC as an example where the individual is the subject of an ongoing investigation into tax evasion.

You can also ask about any logic followed relating to automated decisions made about you.
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X