• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Newsletter 27th February

Hi all

The latest newsletter has been uploaded to the members section of the NTRT website.

Best regards

Santa
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Judge McCreath said he assessed the seriousness of the offences by current guidelines, but he was limited to the maximum sentences that were available at the time the offences were committed, when "the sentencing climate was less severe".

"The offences for which I must pass sentence today took place many years ago at a time when in particular, in respect of one of them, the maximum sentence was considerably lower than that which is now available," he said.

---------------

That's right folks, even Gary Glitter doesn't get the retrospective law change treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
        Judge McCreath said he assessed the seriousness of the offences by current guidelines, but he was limited to the maximum sentences that were available at the time the offences were committed, when "the sentencing climate was less severe".

"The offences for which I must pass sentence today took place many years ago at a time when in particular, in respect of one of them, the maximum sentence was considerably lower than that which is now available," he said.

---------------

That's right folks, even Gary Glitter doesn't get the retrospective law change treatment.
        It's much worse to avoid tax legally if your a pleb than it is to child molest.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Personally I followed the montpelier advice - don't contact them.

And as there is no amount on the letter, how do you know you cannot pay?

My wife works for HMRC. Once she set up a load of people saying they owed zero tax. One person complained - that ruined it for all.

This actually happened to me in 1991 - I could not believe my luck.

HMRC have been proven to be liars and cheats. If they told me the sun would rise tomorrow I would look out of the window to check.

Personally I would now contact Montpelier to let them know what happened. DR did supply the contact details.

BP
          PS Thanks for no longer lurking and the update!
          I agree totally with limiting contact and to date have dealt through Montpelier. This once I just wanted to register the point and knew it shouldn't impact others. All details have been fully recorded and recorded letter in the post. Have learnt from past experience to double and triple cover all areas.

Regarding amounts, I have a rough idea what they will be after and unless the settlement is for no more than 10% of that I wouldn't have a chance. The wife has just lost her job too so even if we wanted to remortgage to pay we wouldn't be able to.

Like others I have found this forum to be a lot of support over the years. I would say, and long may that continue, but really I would like this to come to a satisfactory end and not have to look at it again

Comment

If anyone is thinking about re mortgaging to raise money, Id advise you look into this sooner rather than later.

Due to the banks causing the financial crisis, it is now a lot harder to re mortgage. Successful applications fell substantially over the last 12 months.

You need to get your ducks lined up and convince the lender with hard facts to do the deal. Walking in to a lender to re mortgage is not the simple option it used to be.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              If anyone is thinking about re mortgaging to raise money, Id advise you look into this sooner rather than later.

Due to the banks causing the financial crisis, it is now a lot harder to re mortgage. Successful applications fell substantially over the last 12 months.

You need to get your ducks lined up and convince the lender with hard facts to do the deal. Walking in to a lender to re mortgage is not the simple option it used to be.
              I'll plan to remortgage and repay the illegal debt as soon as Cameron and Osborne pay back their tax avoidance.

Comment

advanced notice

So just got my advance notice letter that I'll be getting an apn in next 1 to 8 weeks.
                coincidentally off to vegas on Fri. Big question..All on red or black?
                ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by slogger View Post
                  So just got my advance notice letter that I'll be getting an apn in next 1 to 8 weeks.
                  coincidentally off to vegas on Fri. Big question..All on red or black?
                  ;-)
                  My brown envelope arrived this morning and my wife very much enjoyed opening it. So nice of Hmrc to send it and spoil the weekend. 1-8 weeks and 4 tax years. Bankruptcy looms.....

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
                    My brown envelope arrived this morning and my wife very much enjoyed opening it. So nice of Hmrc to send it and spoil the weekend. 1-8 weeks and 4 tax years. Bankruptcy looms.....
                    Sorry to hear about the above. However, please note that you will NOT have to go bankrupt nor lose a place of residence. If paying the full amount (any amount) would put you in "financial extremity". This would include bankruptcy or meaning you have to sell your home (if you own one). This is 100%. Feel free to check with any reputable laywer. No doubt its extememly stressful and concerning to receive an APN. But the bottom line is you wont be FORCED to sell your residential property, nor FORCED into bankcruptcy. HRMC simply cannot do that Nor will any judge instruct that you do.

Comment

PART 2:

I also feel it’s important to assist in correcting some of the mindset of recent comments. I.E “life is going to end as we know it”

Look at the situation logically as a whole… there are:

• 1200 Dotas Schemes
                      • 43,000 scheme users, (although I personally think this it’s much more)

Each scheme provider can go to appeal:

1. FTT (first tier Tribunal)
                      (can take anywhere 6months – 18th months to get a date)

2. Failing FTT, there is the UTT (upper tier Tribunal)
                      (Again, can take an additional 6 months – 18th months to get a date)

3. Failing the UTT, there is finally the Supreme Court
                      (Again, talking months if not a year or two)

4. European Court of Human Rights.
                      If it comes to it, there is a very good case to be heard. (Again, this can be years in the process, to finally get a hearing)

It is simply NOT possible for HRMC to deal with all the above scenarios. HRMC may well win the odd case, and therefore hype the media into a wild frenzy of how well they are doing. But it is impossible to manage the backlog in which will happen with their current resources. Do not forget, their resources have been drastically cut in recent months.

HMRC are very well known to bully tactics. Stand firm. Do NOT correspond yourself directly with HMRC. Allow and ensure that the SCHEME PROVIDER does this on YOUR behalf. The first point of call is always directly liaising with the original scheme provider.

Conclusion.

You cannot be forced into bankruptcy from the HMRC. If you haven’t got it (the money) you cant pay it. Simple. The politics behind the remit of HMRC was to scare anyone into entering into any tax avoidance schemes. This included a spurt of “high profile celebrities” to make headline news. After all, naming John Smith the local butcher owing £50,000 in backdated tax wasn’t going to make the headlines. This tactic seems to have been achieved. Is it coincidence this is all tying in with election time?

If you have a home that you and your family live in, again they cannot force you to sell it. Nor can they get you to take out a loan or a re-mortgage to pay a so-called “owed debt”. Bottom line is you may need to cut back on the holidays each each year and the Friday night takeaways. But you are not going to be removed from of your home, clothes off your back and out of food and water.

Comment

Working...
                      X