• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zippo View Post
    I'm spending my time following how Osborne and Cameron are squirming out of a 'retrospective' tax that as Kenneth Clarke pointed out, they've known the amount of for 6 months and known about for even longer, and bulltulipting about how they've negotiated a 50% reduction, by counting in a rebate that they were always going to get anyway. Surely if it's legal, it must be 'fair'? I keep waiting for Joe Public to wake up to the fact that it's just the little Tory posh boys trying to get a few votes back from UKIP, but Joe Public appears to be pretty slow on the uptake.

Comment

Gauke taking a pasting on twitter - can't tell the difference between £850m and £850k

https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/statu...40796723822592

That aside, he's still trying to say that the bill has been "reduced" - even when it's clear the ruse has been rumbled. If someone filling in a tax return made such a creative use of accounting to describe their income...

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        Gauke taking a pasting on twitter - can't tell the difference between £850m and £850k

https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/statu...40796723822592

That aside, he's still trying to say that the bill has been "reduced" - even when it's clear the ruse has been rumbled. If someone filling in a tax return made such a creative use of accounting to describe their income...
        He has problems counting past 20, luckily for him being good with numbers doesn't seem to be a prerequisite for his job.

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
          I'm spending my time following how Osborne and Cameron are squirming out of a 'retrospective' tax that as Kenneth Clarke pointed out, they've known the amount of for 6 months and known about for even longer, and bulltulipting about how they've negotiated a 50% reduction, by counting in a rebate that they were always going to get anyway. Surely if it's legal, it must be 'fair'? I keep waiting for Joe Public to wake up to the fact that it's just the little Tory posh boys trying to get a few votes back from UKIP, but Joe Public appears to be pretty slow on the uptake.
          A 3rd world education system and daily dose of banal reality TV is by design, rather than by accident.
          With a dumbed down public, the politicians can get away with anything.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
            A 3rd world education system and daily dose of banal reality TV is by design, rather than by accident.
            With a dumbed down public, the politicians can get away with anything.
            As long as the great unwashed can get their benefits, still afford their Lambert & Butler, white lightning and Sky TV to watch x factor and football, they dont give a stuff whats going on in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by gasha1 View Post
              Well that went well. I come back after several years to ask a perfectly reasonable question about what have been the latest developments in the S58 fight, and the only person who can be bothered to respond thinks it's clever to try and wind me up with, "they're coming after you in Switzerland."

Now i remember why i dont bother posting on internet forums.
              +1. Join NTRT now.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                our fight is concentrating more on the legal aspect now.
                Interesting. Does that mean Whitehouse are no longer involved? What do they say about the MP angle and the difficultie we have had getting our position across?

Thanks

PS I wish we had a closed forum! I would love a full debate on that question between all members!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Interesting. Does that mean Whitehouse are no longer involved? What do they say about the MP angle and the difficultie we have had getting our position across?

Thanks

PS I wish we had a closed forum! I would love a full debate on that question between all members!
                  Would be a good thing no doubt, only thing is how do you keep it HMRC spy proof?

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                    Would be a good thing no doubt, only thing is how do you keep it HMRC spy proof?
                    You can only joined if a member of NTRT and MP have verified you were with the scheme.

Anyway I am more bothered about guageing members' reactions to whitehouse. They were bought on for a political fight. That does not seem to have worked.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Thanks

Hi Brillo, we are still retaining Whitehouse as a point of contact for our members, but stepping down on the lobbyng in favour of legal action.

I think even with a closed forum, HMRC would still find a way in. We had a troll who was leaking our newsletters to HMRC a while back.
                      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Working...
                      X