• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Santa Claus. I figured something was happening and appreciate the necessity to keep it from the succubus at HMRC. Good to know all is not lost.
    Regards

Slobbo

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Hi Slobbo

The war is definitely not over!

It's hard to keep our strategy private from HMRC and still show our members that we are busy working on their behalf.

What I can say is the political campaign has been toned down in favour of pursuing legal angles. There are a number of legal avenues we are currently pursuing, and the steering group have been in face to face meetings and telephone/email discussions regarding this.

A newsletter will be out in early November where I hope more can be revealed.
      Excellent news! Thanks!

Following on from WG's success I feel very positive about the legal angle.

Comment

Hi everyone

It's been several years since i last posted on this forum. Since I now live in Switzerland and have no intention of coming back, I kind of lost interest.
        Having received a rather strange letter from Montpelier recently with some tongue in cheek comparison of the UK to North Korea, i was wondering if someone could summarise what the latest developments have been over the last year or two?

The last i remember was there was some lobbying of Parliament going on.

Is there a new legal challenge planned? What happened about the appeals process?

thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by gasha1 View Post
          It's been several years since i last posted on this forum. Since I now live in Switzerland and have no intention of coming back, I kind of lost interest.
          Having received a rather strange letter from Montpelier recently with some tongue in cheek comparison of the UK to North Korea, i was wondering if someone could summarise what the latest developments have been over the last year or two?

The last i remember was there was some lobbying of Parliament going on.

Is there a new legal challenge planned? What happened about the appeals process?

thanks in advance
          Hi Gasha1

Just wondered if you're a member, as I'm unable to find your username on our database?

I posted an update recently and a newsletter will be going out to members soon.

I don't think residing in Switzerland will protect you from the reach of HMRC, as we know of a case where bailiffs were sent to a member in Spain.
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I guess everyone is probably aware of this by now (a member brought it to my attention)...

Expenses watchdog: MPs should not have destroyed records - Telegraph

Nothing surprises me any more when it comes to our MPs complete lack of morals, which is why our fight is concentrating more on the legal aspect now.

Comment

Well that went well. I come back after several years to ask a perfectly reasonable question about what have been the latest developments in the S58 fight, and the only person who can be bothered to respond thinks it's clever to try and wind me up with, "they're coming after you in Switzerland."

Now i remember why i dont bother posting on internet forums.

Comment

SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Well that went well. I come back after several years to ask a perfectly reasonable question about what have been the latest developments in the S58 fight, and the only person who can be bothered to respond thinks it's clever to try and wind me up with, "they're coming after you in Switzerland."

Why do you think he is "winding you up"?

I would suggest that the statement is probably correct and no more than a friendly note that moving away is probably not going to afford you much protection should HMRC decide that they want some money.

Comment

Yes reasonable answer was given.
                    Join NTRT, and do not expect behind the scenes developments advertised on this forum.

Comment

Hi Gasha

It wasn't my intention to wind you up, and I'm sorry if you felt that way - I was just stating facts.

Whatever is said on this forum, it's always best to get your own legal advice anyway.

Best regards

Santa
                      Last edited by SantaClaus; 7 November 2014, 13:21.

Comment

Working...
                      X