• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with Brillo. Montpelier did everything they said they would, and now Watkin's name is cleared, I don't they are about to give up the fight.
    'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
    Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      Montpelier did everything they said they would, and now Watkin's name is cleared, I don't they are about to give up the fight.
      We all knew he was innocent. It was just down to the judge.

I have to admit, I expected him to do a runner. Top marks for him standing up to the liars and cheats.

I would imagine he thinks that one day we will be cleared, that he will collect his fees, and make a load more money from financial management.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        We all knew he was innocent. It was just down to the judge.

I have to admit, I expected him to do a runner. Top marks for him standing up to the liars and cheats.

I would imagine he thinks that one day we will be cleared, that he will collect his fees, and make a load more money from financial management.
        I can't imagine it's just about the fees. Must be more personal than that now.

Comment

Is the tide of public opinion finally turning

Just read with interest the following news story;
          BBC News - Comedian Jimmy Carr: I've made terrible error over tax

What's interesting are the comments that follow the story. Most of commentators blame the hypocrisy of the government for allowing the loop holes rather then the "evil tax dodgers".

Comment

Originally posted by DownButNotOut View Post
            Just read with interest the following news story;
            BBC News - Comedian Jimmy Carr: I've made terrible error over tax

What's interesting are the comments that follow the story. Most of commentators blame the hypocrisy of the government for allowing the loop holes rather then the "evil tax dodgers".
            The article was from 2012 wasn't it? Amazing how it hits the 'most popular list' - nothing to do with the BBC's assist HMRC propaganda machine.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDandy View Post
              The article was from 2012 wasn't it? Amazing how it hits the 'most popular list' - nothing to do with the BBC's assist HMRC propaganda machine.
              Yes I can hardly believe HMRC would resort to such tactics given their extremely professional and considered approach to loopholes in their own legislation.
              Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
              http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Hi all

There have been a number of criticisms on the forum regarding Montpelier, so I just wanted to clear the matter up once and for all, and also reassure people...

In answer to those who ask "what are Montpelier doing?". Well unlike other providers such as DeGraaf, Sanzar etc., who have just abandoned their clients, MontP continues to fight for contractors at its own cost.

You won't hear daily rants or moans from them - they just quietly get on with it. Let's look at their track record:

1) They took on HMRC at the JR & CoA.

2) On behalf of Huitson they have lodged an application in Strasbourg claiming Human Rights violations.

3) They are taking Huitson’s challenge of s 58 to the First Tier Tax Tribunal which includes an application to refer to Europe for breach of Article 56 being free movement of capital.

4) I also hear that they await sight of the first APN and will judicially review it.

So guys, the legal challenges are far from over and I have every faith in Montpelier and ourselves (NTRT) to keep fighting this injustice.

Comment

Hi all

There have been a number of criticisms on the forum regarding Montpelier, so I just wanted to clear the matter up once and for all, and also reassure people...

In answer to those who ask "what are Montpelier doing?". Well unlike other providers such as DeGraaf, Sanzar etc., who have just abandoned their clients, MontP continues to fight for contractors at its own cost.

You won't hear daily rants or moans from them - they just quietly get on with it. Let's look at their track record:

2) On behalf of Huitson they have lodged an application in Strasbourg claiming Human Rights violations.

3) They are taking Huitson’s challenge of s 58 to the First Tier Tax Tribunal which includes an application to refer to Europe for breach of Article 56 being free movement of capital.

4) I also hear that they await sight of the first APN and will judicially review it.

So guys, the legal challenges are far from over and I have every faith in Montpelier and ourselves (NTRT) to keep fighting this injustice.
                  Well said Santa.

Comment

Hi all

And alot of that criticism came from me. Since WG did not do a runner, and he won (in very convincing style), I have to eat my words.

I also hope I am wrong about us being stuffed. Either way, stuffed or not, I intend to go down fighting.

Comment

Hi all

Why on earth are HMRC sending APN's to MP within the first few thousand letters. Only an utter fool would send them to the people who (rightly) fight every inch of the way.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X