• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funjim View Post
    Dauke now out of the picture?

If so do we know what Priti Patel is like?
    I might be able to help out on that, PM.

Comment

Originally posted by warlord View Post
      We also need a statement from Montpellier on what we should be doing, they after all are the scheme provider.
      I think at the moment MP have got other stuff to worry about.

And for them a month is like the blink of an eye - they like to have a long think before updating.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
        Tory Cabinet millionaires face TV claims of 'tax dodging' | Mail Online

Just noticed the date of this one - still relevant.
        Maybe we could start e-petitions HM Government e-petitions to get them to discuss it in the commons. If we get a 100,000 votes, they are obliged to discuss it. 5 million and we get a referendum (that's what the sites say).

If we phrase it correctly, we can get votes from the anti tax avoidance bandwagon and reach our target number of votes which will in turn embarrass MPs when they have to discuss it.

Perhaps something along the lines of ...

We do not believe it is right that MPs set up structures that are purely for the purposes of tax avoidance, and we believe Parliament should discuss why HMRC is unable to address these examples of abusive tax arrangements, and if found to be protected by law, for those laws to be retrospectively amended, so that all taxpayers are treated equally under the law of the land.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I think at the moment MP have got other stuff to worry about.

And for them a month is like the blink of an eye - they like to have a long think before updating.
          I know they have other issues with WG and his impending trial but they new this was coming, so I would at least expect a reasonably quick response

Comment

DOTAS reference number

I asked my accountant to check the reference number on my tax return so that I could consult the HMRC list. However, he said that there was no reference number on any of the returns just the fact that it was income via double taxation agreement.

I wonder where that puts me. Waiting for a follower notice maybe ?

Perhaps that will give time to get the FTTT result first.

Comment

CTD against APN?

Would a Certificate of Tax Deposit be possible against an APNs?
              Once the APN is paid, is the matter effectilve settled or is it still under dispute?

The amount I owe is affordable (barely) - but I'm stuck between waiting for the APN, settling with HMRC, or paying the ammount into a CTD (if possible).

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Obviously the advice from HMRC was to settle the matter as quickly as possible to avoid more interest charges mounting and for peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by zaphrus View Post
                Maybe we could start e-petitions HM Government e-petitions to get them to discuss it in the commons. If we get a 100,000 votes, they are obliged to discuss it. 5 million and we get a referendum (that's what the sites say).

If we phrase it correctly, we can get votes from the anti tax avoidance bandwagon and reach our target number of votes which will in turn embarrass MPs when they have to discuss it.

Perhaps something along the lines of ...

We do not believe it is right that MPs set up structures that are purely for the purposes of tax avoidance, and we believe Parliament should discuss why HMRC is unable to address these examples of abusive tax arrangements, and if found to be protected by law, for those laws to be retrospectively amended, so that all taxpayers are treated equally under the law of the land.
                I managed to drum up 444 signatures to this:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...-retrospective

You really think we will get that much?

Comment

Originally posted by K12AN View Post
                  Would a Certificate of Tax Deposit be possible against an APNs?
                  This was debated a few weeks ago. Can you use a CTD to pay for an APN - absolutely - you can cash in a CTD to pay for a Ferrari if you want.

Will using a CTD to pay an APN preserve the original CTD date for interest-halting purposes - that's the question no-one seems to have an answer for

Originally posted by K12AN View Post
                  Once the APN is paid, is the matter effectilve settled or is it still under dispute?
                  Still very much under dispute - and you will have more to pay if the case is ultimately lost or you decide to throw in the towel. The APN is only for the outstanding tax - even after you pay the APN you will still owe whatever interest has accrued up to that point, but that interest will no longer continue to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                    This was debated a few weeks ago. Can you use a CTD to pay for an APN - absolutely - you can cash in a CTD to pay for a Ferrari if you want.

Will using a CTD to pay an APN preserve the original CTD date for interest-halting purposes - that's the question no-one seems to have an answer for

Still very much under dispute - and you will have more to pay if the case is ultimately lost or you decide to throw in the towel. The APN is only for the outstanding tax - even after you pay the APN you will still owe whatever interest has accrued up to that point, but that interest will no longer continue to grow.
                    Sorry if this has been discussed, but given this situation, when does the interest start...

Tax year 2007-8 under enquiry - the letter received Jan 2010. No demands from HMRC for money, or any indication of what it might be.

August 2014 APN received where the tax 'owed' is say £10,000.

When does the interest start? April 2008, Jan 2010 or August 2014?

Comment

Call to HMRC

Phoned HMRC this afternoon and got similar response as to KAK123

Although the person on the end of the phone was at least pleasant (he did call me back twice to update me) it really was a waste of time.

The main point he made was that they MAY issue me with an APN within the next 20 Months, and that another update will take place in October.

He couldn’t/wouldn’t comment about Homer’s statement regarding the FTTT process.

Comment

Working...
                      X