• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panorama_The_Truth_About_Tax

This may have been mentioned - but just in case some may have missed... it shows hypocracy of the state and the HMRC... oh, and Gauke is there too!

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: The Truth About Tax

Comment

Originally posted by marcuss View Post
      This may have been mentioned - but just in case some may have missed... it shows hypocracy of the state and the HMRC... oh, and Gauke is there too!

BBC iPlayer - Panorama: The Truth About Tax
      Executive summary: If you're big business, the government will let you get away with anything.

Oh..., and David Gauke is an expert at contradiction.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Letter and briefing note sent to my MP

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
        Whitehouse are making very good progress behind the scenes but they need us to keep up the pressure on MPs.

That means writing letters and meeting MPs.

If you haven't written yet, please can yo do so.

Just write a covering letter and enclose the Whitehouse briefing note.

http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...ril%202012.pdf

In the letter, ask your MP to raise the matter with Exchequer Secretary David Gauke.

Thanks
        DR
        Sent letter and the great briefing note to my MP today. I did write to him in June 2010 but that received the usual Teflon 'Gauke' response. Not gonna accept it this time though...!

Comment

Originally posted by JaredM View Post
          Whilst not related to us I found this article on the BBC a good read: BBC News - Calls for single 30% income tax rate

The article didn't mention tax avoidance implications but I'm sure it would be reduced if there was a very simple rate of tax for all. It would provide clarity and certainty if nothing else and one rate could establish very succinctly the principle of 'fair share' that's frequently banded about but never defined.
          A true flat rate tax has zero reliefs - absolutely none. You pay the flat rate tax on every form of income. Therefore tax avoidance becomes extremely difficult.

In reality, achieving zero reliefs is virtually impossible. There will always be an argument for some exceptions, which gives the accountants/lawyers something to get their claws into.

Comment

Gauke'd

standard reply and a "sorry not much i can do" from MP...

he's actually a decent bloke (MP not Gauke) and was quite sympathetic - already had face to face prior to website starting etc

will respond accordingly !

Comment

Originally posted by bollox View Post
              standard reply and a "sorry not much i can do" from MP...

he's actually a decent bloke (MP not Gauke) and was quite sympathetic - already had face to face prior to website starting etc

will respond accordingly !
              Can't believe we are still being Gauke'd.

Surely it must of filtered through to him that he's no longer able to spin that cr@p!

Comment

Changes to Key Documents

New

A008 - Timeline highlighting HMRC's inaction for so many years

Updated

The briefing note has been revised and simplified partly in light of last week's meetings in Parliament.
                http://notoretrotax.org.uk/public-do...May%202012.doc

K019 - now includes the Cameron and Osborne letters
                N005

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  Thanks Funjim.

Freedomfighter, if you're still having problems, PM me and I'll send you the document.

Hi Santa - can you PM me the doc as well as I can't open it either, it just hangs when I try, others seem fine though. Thanks.
                  SLB

Comment

I've just been Gauke'd as well. Will get the reply off to my MP tonight and update Whitehouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
                      I've just been Gauke'd as well. Will get the reply off to my MP tonight and update Whitehouse.
                      If you need any pointers refer to A006.

Comment

Working...
                      X