• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
    Isn't David Beckham mentioned on other websites but not Sky. Convenient considering he's the advocate for the new Sky Sports 5 channel.

Comment

Ive just written to the contact on the guidance notes (Brian New, [email protected]). He has not replied following my questions around time to pay and bankruptcy on what is not a proven debt until litigation concludes:

Dear Me New following on from my email below I wanted to know whether you have been able to obtain any clarification or guidance in relation to my questions?

Having seen a press article by MP Mark Field today regarding tax avoidance by inegnious media, I also understand some scheme members are being offered a discount of upto 40% to settle early. I assume that is an offer open to any scheme user and not a privilege of a few schemes, or users. Please can you clarify the position.

regards
      Last edited by smalldog; 9 July 2014, 08:47.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
        Ive just written to the contact on the guidance notes (Brian New, [email protected]). He has not replied following my questions around time to pay and bankruptcy on what is not a proven debt until litigation concludes:

Dear Me New following on from my email below I wanted to know whether you have been able to obtain any clarification or guidance in relation to my questions?

Having seen a press article by MP Mark Field today regarding tax avoidance by inegnious media, I also understand some scheme members are being offered a discount of upto 40% to settle early. I assume that is an offer open to any scheme user and not a privilege of a few schemes, or users. Please can you clarify the position.

regards
        Good effort. I think we should all write to our MPs and Brian to ask the same question.

I hope this backfires on them for conveniently releasing this to the media.

Comment

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
          Good effort. I think we should all write to our MPs and Brian to ask the same question.

I hope this backfires on them for conveniently releasing this to the media.
          True. The pressure needs to stay on...
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            True. The pressure needs to stay on...
            It might be a good time to assemble a list of those in power who voted in the select committee to breach article 39 of the Magna Carta, and it should include those that voted in S58, which after all seeks to breach our right to be judged "according to the law of the land".

Lin Honer may end up carrying the can for this, and she must be livid that Osborne and Gauke have dropped her in it. It'd be great to see a little Government inter-departmental war starting up.

Comment

This is utterly outrageous to consider they are getting offered a discount!
              Hmmm, wonder if this deal falls within the LSS framework. I think not!
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Dear Mark Menzies,

Once again I thank you for your continued support.

I write to you regarding my daily concerns over S58(4) of Finance Bill

I would expect HMRCs treatment of all tax planning schemes to be fair
                and to follow the same guidelines. However, I believe I am being
                unfairly treated and being discriminated against.

Not only was I never warned between 2003 and 2008 that retrospection
                would be used or that I was doing anything illegal but neither was I
                ever offered a deal to settle early.

You may recall that HMRC offered a deal to Suo Moto users whom had been
                involved in the same tax planning as the scheme I used. HMRC refused to
                offer this deal to me.

Today I read in the national press that users of the Liberty tax
                strategy are being offered a 40% reduction to settle early.

The Government and HMRC have maintained that the scheme I used was
                "aggresive" and "wholly exceptional". The same words used to describe
                the Liberty tax strategy - yet I'm not being offered a 40% reduction!

This is an outrageous injustice to those terrified of bankruptcy due to
                the retrospective nature of s58(4).

I would therefore appreciate if you could write to the minister
                concerned asking why our tax planning scheme is not being offered a
                similar discount if we settle early. This could mean the difference
                between bankruptcy and not and could avoid numerous lengthy court
                battles.

Yours sincerely,
                Nicely put...

I've used the above (with the typos fixed plus added reference to Ingenious Media) to send an email to my MP Zac Goldsmith - he was sympathetic to our plight in the past so hopefully, he'll take up the baton again...

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
                  It might be a good time to assemble a list of those in power who voted in the select committee to breach article 39 of the Magna Carta, and it should include those that voted in S58, which after all seeks to breach our right to be judged "according to the law of the land".

Lin Honer may end up carrying the can for this, and she must be livid that Osborne and Gauke have dropped her in it. It'd be great to see a little Government inter-departmental war starting up.
                  Yup, that would be good. If someone could help compile and verify this information, I would put together the Wall of Shame I have promised a while ago.
                  Definitely need to keep a tab on them the same way they keep tabs on us.
                  Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by BettySwollocks View Post
                    Nicely put...

I've used the above (with the typos fixed plus added reference to Ingenious Media) to send an email to my MP Zac Goldsmith - he was sympathetic to our plight in the past so hopefully, he'll take up the baton again...
                    lol "with the typos fixed". I was typing in a rage

Comment

lol "with the typos fixed". I was typing in a rage
                      Send mail few a few changes to my MP

Comment

Working...
                      X