• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samson View Post
    good day all,

appologies first if this question is a bit off topic from the previous comments. I am also apart of this group affected who's life has been full of worry,
    dread and many sleepless nights for far to long now worrying about how this is all going to affect his and his families future. I have been following this
    forum since the start all those years ago.

is anyone able to offer any insight on what the ramifications may be on a member of this BN66 disaster (non-UK national) that has
    permanently emigrated from the UK and just ignores any notices to their forwarding address in the southern hemisphere. retrospective tax being claimed is in the region of +-60-70k
    would this person be declared bankrupt within the UK ? still have a apartment in the uk with negative equity.
    do you think there is any chance of being arrested should he ever travel through the UK or EU again for outstanding tax and the fines which would accrue ?
    I don't have the funds to pay as it plus a lot more was lost in a financial scam.
    any advice would be appreciated.
    OECD Article 27 Exchange of information - OECD is for the assistance in collection of taxes. The UK has agreements with other countries where if you owe tax, the country where you moved to can collect it for them. I think lots of EU and Commonwealth plus others have this agreement with the UK.

Of course I'm not suggesting Hector that anyone does a runner. Oh no...nice sunny beach in Brazil. What's there to like about that?

Comment

Originally posted by ForkBoy View Post
      Dunno, tanks are pretty cool ...
      What you need is a good script, the rest is a piece of cake with the tools available these days.
      Personally I think it would be an excellent idea, cannot think of a downside really. Your cause is absolutely just, so why hesitate. The gov is playing and replaying the "bad tax dogders" meme to smear it - who cares? Politicians always underestimate badly the unprecedented visibilty the internet gives in this day and age. It can be leveraged.

Of course, the most difficult part is getting past the "it would be good to..." stage.

www.dotas-scandal.org
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
        Possibly a really stupid idea, but would there be any point in doing our own documentary and putting it up on YouTube possibly under the NTRT banner? Amongst our number we must have all kinds of skills, including some video editing, and if you believe the various blogs, making a decent documentary these days doesn't require much more than a good computer and copy of Final Cut. We might get some bashing, but at least the argument would be an informed one and we could give our side of the story without always having to submit to whatever label they want to stick on us. I know nothing of this type of technology, but maybe there are some of our number who do?
        Sounds like a great idea. We need more members who can do things like that, as the current SG is rather stretched at the moment.

I'm trying to find the old cartoon video I did, can't remember the name of the App.

EDIT: It was http://xtranormal.com/. Unfortunately they have been taken over.
        Last edited by SantaClaus; 29 May 2014, 12:20.
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Even better - there are online marketplaces where you can find a freelance animator who will make you a neat movie based on a script you provide, at a reasonable rate (I checked out a guy from Romania who had some nice sample films).
          I looked into this a few weeks back and have the website in my bookmarks somewhere.
          In fact, I would be surprised if there were not such pros even on this board.

www.dotas-scandal.org

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
            Signed and forwarded.
            Great - thanks.

We've now reached 200 signatures in less than 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
              Even better - there are online marketplaces where you can find a freelance animator who will make you a neat movie based on a script you provide, at a reasonable rate (I checked out a guy from Romania who had some nice sample films).
              I looked into this a few weeks back and have the website in my bookmarks somewhere.
              In fact, I would be surprised if there were not such pros even on this board.

www.dotas-scandal.org
              The thing about making a political video is the facts have to be correct. It's writing the script that's the hardest bit, for me anyway. The technical stuff is easily handled by software.

I actually found the old Xtranormal video we made a while back, which is a good example:

Edit: See BeenGauked's upload.
              Last edited by SantaClaus; 29 May 2014, 13:55.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                The thing about making a political video is the facts have to be correct. It's writing the script that's the hardest bit, for me anyway. The technical stuff is easily handled by software.

I actually found the old Xtranormal video we made aw hile back, which is a good example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l9n3mkhwlb...tive%20tax.mp4
                Hope you don't mind Santa, I've uploaded it to my YouTube channel and will tweet it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDe-Zujacas

Comment

Originally posted by BeenGauked View Post
                  Hope you don't mind Santa, I've uploaded it to my YouTube channel and will tweet it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDe-Zujacas
                  Thanks BeenGauked. I'll remove the Dropbox link now.

Comment

Awesome video! I absolutely love it! :-)
                    To be fair, it's a bit too long and technical for Joe Public's attention span. But the concept is spot on!
                    However...why no big splash screen with NTRT's url at the end??? This, I cannot understand... (unless that was a rough cut)
                    Frankly, if you added that at the end, I would happily upload it onto every streaming platform known to man, and promote it to hell and back.
                    And with a shorter edit, it could be a viral hit :-)
                    To paraphrase John Lennon - humor is the one thing that oppressors have no idea how to respond to.

www.dotas-scandal.org

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                      Awesome video! I absolutely love it! :-)
                      To be fair, it's a bit too long and technical for Joe Public's attention span. But the concept is spot on!
                      However...why no big splash screen with NTRT's url at the end??? This, I cannot understand... (unless that was a rough cut)
                      Frankly, if you added that at the end, I would happily upload it onto every streaming platform known to man, and promote it to hell and back.
                      And with a shorter edit, it could be a viral hit :-)
                      To paraphrase John Lennon - humor is the one thing that oppressors have no idea how to respond to.

www.dotas-scandal.org
                      Thanks DS.

At the time, I think NTRT's approach was a little bit more softly softly. But I think now is the time to get aggressive and irony/social media/viral campaigns are a great weapon. And yes... the video was a bit rough round the edges.

It's a pity Xtranormal have been taken over and not currently available as I would have liked to redo that video. There is another package here Make Business Video | Animated Video Production | GoAnimate.com , but I haven't had time to check it out yet.

What we need is someone who knows the facts inside out, with a great sense of humour and ability to get the message across. Volunteers anyone?
                      Last edited by SantaClaus; 29 May 2014, 15:02.

Comment

Working...
                      X