• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    It's hard to see how AP could apply to tax years that predate DOTAS but at the moment this is an area of uncertainty.
    Seems to me they can change the rules anyway at anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Seems to me they can change the rules anyway at anytime.
      Indeed, which is why I said it's uncertain.

Comment

Enforcement of AP

Anyone who is likely to be unable to pay, if they receive accelerated payment notices, should have a read of this FOI response from HM Treasury.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...1%20151905.pdf

Comment

U turn ahoy?

Anyone who is likely to be unable to pay, if they receive accelerated payment notices, should have a read of this FOI response from HM Treasury.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...1%20151905.pdf
          "Anyone entering into a scheme IN THE FUTURE should make sure they have the means to pay the tax up front"

Has there been a change of direction here?

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
            "Anyone entering into a scheme IN THE FUTURE should make sure they have the means to pay the tax up front"

Has there been a change of direction here?
            Check out the date of the FOI response, it has been backdated to 2004.

Only joking of course but you wouldn't put it past them!

Comment

Check out the date of the FOI response, it has been backdated to 2004.

Only joking of course but you wouldn't put it past them!
              Interesting they used an example to justify themselves where the govt. closed a tax loophole in a week.

We waited 8 years.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Fascinating read. The endless introductory drivel seems to indicate strong cognitive dissonance...through all this babble I can sense a person which has great difficulty believing all the BS they are forced to put on paper, parroting David Gauke to the best of their ability. I am not surprised HMRC has got one of the highest resignation rates of all "public services"...It must be a real drain (for the non-sociopathic elements)
                I also like the part where they say that the action of HMRC is always proportionate. I am so reassured now. /sarc.
                "We will crush you - for the good of the community - but in a human and compassionate manner."
                What a pile of horsetulip.

@DonkeyRhubarb: had to laugh at your "backdated" comment :-) Actually I would not be one bit surprised if they started doing that anytime now.

www.dotas-scandal.org
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                  Fascinating read. The endless introductory drivel seems to indicate strong cognitive dissonance...through all this babble I can sense a person which has great difficulty believing all the BS they are forced to put on paper, parroting David Gauke to the best of their ability. I am not surprised HMRC has got one of the highest resignation rates of all "public services"...It must be a real drain (for the non-sociopathic elements)
                  I also like the part where they say that the action of HMRC is always proportionate. I am so reassured now. /sarc.
                  "We will crush you - for the good of the community - but in a human and compassionate manner."
                  What a pile of horsetulip.

@DonkeyRhubarb: had to laugh at your "backdated" comment :-) Actually I would not be one bit surprised if they started doing that anytime now.

www.dotas-scandal.org
                  Minor correction. The above response was from HM Treasury, not HMRC.

HMRC, who are obviously above the law, couldn't even be bothered responding to a similar request from the same guy.
                  https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...t_and_bankrupt
                  Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 24 May 2014, 07:55.

Comment

Point taken! Thanks!

www.dotas-scandal.org
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Latest HMRC Response

I also received via my MP, HMRC's latest response to the specific questions raised in the last NTRT Toolkit, which we asked them to answer. Apparently all these questions have already been answered in their response to the Adjudicator (which of course we won't be allowed to see) and there is nothing new that they haven't already covered. For good measure, the HMRC letter wasn't even addressed to me, nor had my name on it - it was simply a tippexed previous letter.

With this continued state of denial and stonewalling from HMRC, where do we go from here (apart from Overseas, taking all our money in a suitcase of gold sovereigns)?

Comment

Working...
                      X