• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    For anyone who is still dithering about whether or not so see their MP before the May elections...

Taxman to raid joint accounts | Mail Online
    Is NTRT proposing any co-ordinated action on this or is the policy still to let others lead the campaigning whilst we provide evidence as necessary of HMRC's ineptitude and deceit regarding our DTA scheme experience?

Comment

BBC News Website

An interesting top story on the BBC News website this morning regarding the Treasury Commitee's concerns regarding the DOTAS proposals in the Finance Bill. The concerns are extended to retrospection.

..........He said the committee also had "deep reservations" about changes to tax policy that would require upfront payment of any disputed tax associated with tax avoidance schemes.

"Retrospection should be considered only in wholly exceptional circumstances. The latest measure would have to be justified on those grounds," Mr Tyrie said.

"Retrospection puts policy on a slippery path to arbitrary taxation, discouraging investment and innovation and creating the scope for great unfairness.".......................

Comment

This is current top story, not sure if it's the same one you referenced:

BBC News - MPs raise concerns over new tax powers in Budget
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm actually going to see my MP about this tomorrow. Hope I'm not the only one!

Interesting though that this legislation will have the opposite effect to what is intended, i.e. drive money offshore and encourage tax evasion.
          You're not alone.

I have mailed my MP to arrange a meeting to discuss this. He's on the treasury select committee.

I would welcome any input from Whitehouse (or anyone) if they think it's appropriate to him, given their recent call to action involving FBC members - mine is not on the FBC this year though. I did mail WH asking about this but didn't get a reply, so thought I'd ask here too for good measure.

Interesting to note from the BBC article that the retro payments would need to be justified as "wholly exceptional" - that phrase again.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            This is current top story, not sure if it's the same one you referenced:

BBC News - MPs raise concerns over new tax powers in Budget
            Yes, that's it. The comments were by Andrew Tyrie - chairman of the Treasury Committee.

Comment

call me a cynic, but they always seem to "raise concerns", doesnt ever seem to translate into anymore than a "were worried about abuse" message, assurances are sought, they are given and the ruling goes through and gets abused after the fact. repeat infinitum.....

Comment

More noise on SkyNews

Powers To Seize Unpaid Tax Criticised By MPs

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                  You're not alone.

I have mailed my MP to arrange a meeting to discuss this. He's on the treasury select committee.

I would welcome any input from Whitehouse (or anyone) if they think it's appropriate to him, given their recent call to action involving FBC members - mine is not on the FBC this year though. I did mail WH asking about this but didn't get a reply, so thought I'd ask here too for good measure.

Interesting to note from the BBC article that the retro payments would need to be justified as "wholly exceptional" - that phrase again.
                  Hi Swede

Not sure why you didn't get a reply. Try sending an email to Carl at Whitehouse.

PM me if you get no joy.

Thanks

Santa
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I dont really see how this relates to BN66, what we care about it the accelerated payment notice, not raiding bank accounts. We have only had some brief airtime on the daily mail article, our fight will get lost in the noise.

Comment

Hi Swede

Not sure why you didn't get a reply. Try sending an email to Carl at Whitehouse.

PM me if you get no joy.

Thanks

Santa
                      Likewise, I emailed WH and didn't get a reply. I'll resend to Carl.

Also, on the Radio 5 Live this morning there was a discussion about the bank account seizure plans, but it veered off into the Pfizer merger and the R5 economics correspondent was pointing out that the UK is effectively becoming an offshore tax haven. No hypocrisy there, then.

Comment

Working...
                      X