• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laxmi View Post
    Intelligence sell-off, Westminster v Banks & SPINning out of control (E24) ? RT Going Underground

The second part of this goes into the untouched Tax havens - 23Trillion in Cayman Islands all supported by our government and the Crown with her privy council not allowing elections and instating their own people! Also, covers how the Govmt want to own and run all stories on Tax Avoidance so they can spin it their way - worth a watch and also potential show to voice our view on.

This Government has a bit of a soft spot for the Cayman Islands, for historical reasons perhaps? There's the 'f' word again. It seems you can make it mean anything you want, but generally it's considered 'fair' if the UK Government are getting a slice of the action and unfair if they aren't.

From wikipedia (Tax haven - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) .

In September 2013 British Prime Minister David Cameron said "I do not think it is fair any longer to refer to any of the Overseas Territories or Crown Dependencies as tax havens. They have taken action to make sure that they have fair and open tax systems. It is very important that our focus should now shift to those territories and countries that really are tax havens."[40] Mr Cameron's comments were interpreted as a direct reference to Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, the British Virgin Islands and the Cayman Islands, and followed a period of negotiations with those (and other) British territories during which those jurisdictions had made a number of concessions relating to tax transparency and sharing of information.[41] Anti-tax haven pressure groups immediately accused the Prime Minister of taking leave of his senses, and commenting sarcastically "It was Cameron's father's tax haven activities that are repotted [sic] to have paid for his Eton education. Was it ever realistic to think he'd change his spots?"

Comment

Originally posted by Fireship View Post
      Clear evidence of being unfairly singled out and not being subjected to the same rules as everyone else?

Now HMRC, please explain you interpretation of reasonable expectation again because I would really like to hear it…..
      Only way to get HMRC to communicate is to make threats. Then they only communicate via the police. Doesn't encourage democracy. Or peaceful protest.

Comment

I've written to my MP about the Ecclestone case.

Can't this example be used during the tax tribune case as unfair treatment?

I'll be happy to pay HMRC 1% to settle just like Bernie.

Comment

Interesting

BBC News - Serious fraud trial halted amid legal row

I wonder if similar action is a possibility when individuals are stripped of the funds they need to defend themselves. From our perspective, I hope this is a sign of the judiciary being a bit more prepared to stand up against Government 'initiatives'.

Comment

Interesting stuff.

More than half of Britons oppose retrospective tax legislation

Comment

Originally posted by AlbionRovers View Post
              Excellent and very well put. Now what we need is for this opinion to be effectively publicised on a larger stage to a wider audience. Comparisons with double standards such as the Bernie Ecclestone expose would help too.

Good show Whitehouse and NTRT - chins up!

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
                Excellent and very well put. Now what we need is for this opinion to be effectively publicised on a larger stage to a wider audience. Comparisons with double standards such as the Bernie Ecclestone expose would help too.

Good show Whitehouse and NTRT - chins up!
                Very good work by Whitehouse and NTRT. I feel abaddoned by Montpelier. A letter from them would be nice. Not sure about a wider audience - I agree with everything NTRT have said on the subject so far.

6 years now since S58. There should be a limit on how long these cases can go on for.

Anyone know if declaring myself bankrupt would terminate it?

Comment

I follow Whitehouse on Linkedin. Might be an idea to join up and add a few comments to their articles? Give them some exposure?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Anyone know if declaring myself bankrupt would terminate it?
                    I did hear from Montp that one guy is currently in the process of going bankrupt to get shut of it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                      I did hear from Montp that one guy is currently in the process of going bankrupt to get shut of it.
                      a friend of mine remortgaged his house to the limit a while back (no equity in it now so not worth repossessing) - 'spent' the cash, also took legal advice as he works for banks in the city - apparently so long as he's not too close to the money (he isnt!) then should be ok if hmrc make him bankrupt.

Not sure what the downside is for him?
                      Last edited by slogger; 2 May 2014, 10:53.

Comment

Working...
                      X