• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposed revisions
    Legislation will be introduced in Finance Bill 2014 to enable HMRC to issue a ‘Notice to Pay’
    to any taxpayer for whom there is an open enquiry, or the matter is under appeal, and who
    has claimed a tax advantage by the use of arrangements that:
    • fall to be disclosed under DOTAS, or
    • HMRC counteracts under the GAAR following an opinion of the GAAR Advisory Panel
    that, in the Panel’s opinion, the arrangements are not a reasonable course of action.

So according to this paper if you put a DOTAS down, you are safe. Lots of conflicting info about. I've cut and paste this. Should "fall" not be "fail"? Jesus you think they'd proof read things properly.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
      Just so im clear, this still needs to be debated as part of the finance bill doesnt it so can change?
      Theoretically. But I think we can safely assume that for all practical intents and purposes this will become law when the 2014 Finance Act receives assent, probably in July.

Comment

Originally posted by convict View Post
        ...who

So according to this paper if you put a DOTAS down, you are safe. Lots of conflicting info about. I've cut and paste this. Should "fall" not be "fail"? Jesus you think they'd proof read things properly.
        No, that's not the way I read it. 'Fall' is correct and the wording is that way to catch both those people who put a DOTAS number down, and those who should have but didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by convict View Post
          Proposed revisions
          Legislation will be introduced in Finance Bill 2014 to enable HMRC to issue a ‘Notice to Pay’
          to any taxpayer for whom there is an open enquiry, or the matter is under appeal, and who
          • HMRC counteracts under the GAAR following an opinion of the GAAR Advisory Panel
          that, in the Panel’s opinion, the arrangements are not a reasonable course of action.

They are using the word "fall" to mean either (a) were disclosed or (b) should have been disclosed.

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
            No, that's not the way I read it. 'Fall' is correct and the wording is that way to catch both those people who put a DOTAS number down, and those who should have but didn't.
            You beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by deckster View Post
              Theoretically. But I think we can safely assume that for all practical intents and purposes this will become law when the 2014 Finance Act receives assent, probably in July.
              And then I'm sure at least one of the 65,000 will challenge it and we'll end up down the court route again (Grant Thornton seem to think this is likely under article 6!od the Human Rights Act). It's like a recurring nightmare.

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                And then I'm sure at least one of the 65,000 will challenge it and we'll end up down the court route again (Grant Thornton seem to think this is likely under article 6!od the Human Rights Act). It's like a recurring nightmare.
                Yes - cue a judicial review

Comment

HMRC> Can't I have the same deal that the Suomoto guys had in 2004 instead ?

Comment

Who?

Originally posted by PlaneSailing View Post
                    Maybe being a bit stupid but who is Grant Thornton?

DR are we any further forward with the Adjudicator, the only small hope I have left

Comment

Originally posted by OneUnited View Post
                      Maybe being a bit stupid but who is Grant Thornton?

DR are we any further forward with the Adjudicator, the only small hope I have left
                      Grant Thornton - The 6th largest Accountancy firm in the world!

Comment

Working...
                      X