• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    and off the back of Venables QC's paper, he is damn right, last time I vote Tory! I would imagine a large proportion of the electorate would think twice about doing the same. Labour started all this but Gauke and co. seem hell bent on taking this nuclear! The prospect of basically voting Gauke back into his position after all this makes my stomach churn.
    I honestly can't see that a large proportion of the electorate would give a monkeys about this. Unless you are referring to the general way in which the Tories have behaved over the last few years, which is a different question.
    "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
    "See?"

Comment

Argue later but pay NOW

From yesterday's Mail on Sunday

Argue later but pay NOW says taxman: Shock order means big bills for thousands in avoidance schemes including top celebrities and major companies | This is Money

Comment

HMRC engaged in tax avoidance

Under the proposed rules I wonder if HMRC will investigate their own offshore property deal back in 2001??

Taxmen face inquiry over offshore deal | UK | News | Daily Express

Comment

Is a NTRT newsletter due soon? Could do with a bit of positive news!

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
            Is a NTRT newsletter due soon? Could do with a bit of positive news!
            Can't see that there's much point in sending anything out until we've picked over the Budget. Sadly I also don't see that there will be anything positive there

Comment

"because it will be backdated, covering not just new disputes but all outstanding cases of the past 15 years."

Does this mean the 2004 DOTAS only clause has now been widened to catch everyone DOTAS or not?

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
                "because it will be backdated, covering not just new disputes but all outstanding cases of the past 15 years."

Does this mean the 2004 DOTAS only clause has now been widened to catch everyone DOTAS or not?
                I think they got that wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                  I think they got that wrong.
                  Given the number of people this will affect, I can't believe for a minute that there will not be a whole bunch of legal challenges to it - and another Thread.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                    Given the number of people this will affect, I can't believe for a minute that there will not be a whole bunch of legal challenges to it - and another Thread.
                    This all needs debating, the paper is an opening gambit, doesnt mean it will end up like that so agree we dont know what it will finally look like.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                      And far from being on our own anymore, a whole group of wealthy and influential people now find themselves at the receiving end of retrospective legislation. People with press, business and political influence. This could get interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X