• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
    thanks DR, and do we know timelines for adjudicator consideration and decisions?
    There will be some more info on it in the next NTRT newsletter which is due to be sent out on Friday.

Comment

news from IOM

MONTPELIER, JONES, MORRIS, GITTINS / 12 December 2013 / STAFF OF GOVERNMENT (APPEAL DIVISION)
      Isle of Man Judgments Online

Comment

Originally posted by bigdug View Post
        MONTPELIER, JONES, MORRIS, GITTINS / 12 December 2013 / STAFF OF GOVERNMENT (APPEAL DIVISION)
        Isle of Man Judgments Online
        So Montpelier lost against Alan Jones?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          So Montpelier lost against Alan Jones?
          That's not quite how I read it Brillo.

Looks like Mr.G caused AJ to run up costs of c.250k and Morris(?) around 300k then he folded his hand and walked away.

Meanwhile he blames Hector's illegal raid on the MP offices for causing the bankruptcy of that business so he can't pay any costs himself.

Reading the judgement isn't easy so if I have it wrong can someone correct my summary?
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
            That's not quite how I read it Brillo.

Looks like Mr.G caused AJ to run up costs of c.250k and Morris(?) around 300k then he folded his hand and walked away.

Meanwhile he blames Hector's illegal raid on the MP offices for causing the bankruptcy of that business so he can't pay any costs himself.

Reading the judgement isn't easy so if I have it wrong can someone correct my summary?
            Thanks
            Exactly.

Like the judgements against Huitson. Why can't they just say "why don't care if you are right. just suffer and squeal like a piggie"?

Comment

HMRC coughs up

...recent and interesting
              Tribunal orders HMRC to pay taxpayers

Comment

Happy 2014! ...

Let us hope that this year brings us some good news.
                (DR, sent you a private message, hope it made some sense)!!

Comment

Gauke, go on then...

US tech firms make eleventh-hour attempt to halt tax avoidance reforms | Business | The Guardian

So Google pay about 1 percent tax. From my reading of Guake's letters, that must surely fit the 'wholly exceptional' criteria. Why not make a retrospective change? I can't see why not, after all that would surely be discriminatory....

Comment

have i missed something ?

i thought we had been turned down the right to appeal .....

[QUOTE=DonkeyRhubarb;1869223]Obviously it's impossible to say for certain but I think it's very unlikely HMRC would be in a position to enforce collection this year.

Firstly, there has to be a full hearing of the Huitson and Shiner appeals at the FTT. The courts are backed up and the cases haven't even been listed for hearing yet. I'd say it was 50/50 as to whether the cases will be heard this year.

Comment

Originally posted by elpinar View Post
                      i thought we had been turned down the right to appeal .....

Obviously it's impossible to say for certain but I think it's very unlikely HMRC would be in a position to enforce collection this year.

Firstly, there has to be a full hearing of the Huitson and Shiner appeals at the FTT. The courts are backed up and the cases haven't even been listed for hearing yet. I'd say it was 50/50 as to whether the cases will be heard this year.
                      The Supreme Court refused leave to appeal the Judicial Review of the retrospective legislation. But this is a completely separate legal process than the tax tribunals (FTT).

Both Huitson and Shiner have appealed their closure notices to the FTT, and it is these pending tribunal cases which are deferring collection. That's why HMRC are not banging on our doors demanding payment.

Comment

Working...
                      X