• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ILurkedTooLong View Post
    Hi all - I have a combination of furious anger and vomitous stress feeling right now, as a couple of Closure Notices arrived in the post this morning. (Dated 21st June, arrived 2nd July.) I honestly thought that HMRC had forgotten about me, their last letter was six years ago. Does anyone know what I would need to do, to appeal this? (Contact details at MP, etc.?)
    You need to contact Natalie Watson or Tony Quinn at Montpelier.

Can I ask what years your CNs were for?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      You need to contact Natalie Watson or Tony Quinn at Montpelier.

Can I ask what years your CNs were for?
      For sure... they were for tax years 01/02, and 02/03.

I've had a few PMs from people with contacts details at Montpelier now, so have sent away an e-mail. I'm out of the country for a month from Friday, so hope I can get the appeal in before I go, don't want to return to a house empty of its possessions courtesy of the bailiffs.??!

I was made redundant in December, and have no ability to pay. :-(

Comment

Originally posted by ILurkedTooLong View Post
        I was made redundant in December, and have no ability to pay. :-(
        Sorry to hear that. Quite a few of us have no means to pay. I just hope I can delay the inevitable bankruptcy.

Comment

Finance Bill Reporting Stage

According to Steve Baker's blog we have already had the reporting stage and that retrospection remains.

Contributions to the Finance Bill Committee 2013 | Steve Baker MP

"In the meantime, the Bill will go through with privileges, retrospection and so on. And we wonder why there is so much lobbying…"

What next - leave the UK?

Comment

Steve Baker

I made many contributions, including

•20 June, 20th Sitting – New Clause 1 speech on tax avoidance, retrospection and the rule of law

Is that all it was intended to be? A speech!
            And was it just so he could add another bullet point to his list of contributions?

I know we are supposed to be grateful for his efforts but I find it hard. I'm not sure it was ever intended to amount to more than a hill of beans.

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post

[Is that all it was intended to be? A speech!
              And was it just so he could add another bullet point to his list of contributions?

I know we are supposed to be grateful for his efforts but I find it hard. I'm not sure it was ever intended to amount to more than a hill of beans.
              In that case, what was the point in garnering all the support we could muster for a vote, if there was never any intention of actually going to a vote? Have we just wasted a lot of our MPs' time?

Also, what has the cross-party letter to George Osborne achieved (any response by him?) and the deluge of e-mails to the Treasury and Gauke?

I know it all raises awareness, but beyond that........?

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
                In that case, what was the point in garnering all the support we could muster for a vote, if there was never any intention of actually going to a vote? Have we just wasted a lot of our MPs' time?

Also, what has the cross-party letter to George Osborne achieved (any response by him?) and the deluge of e-mails to the Treasury and Gauke?

I know it all raises awareness, but beyond that........?
                Remember people that we're in this for the long haul. We've got to be persistent, and keep on chipping away.
                We can't expect overnight success.

We have to show these hypocrites & charlatans that we're never going to give up.
                Ninja

'Salad is a dish best served cold'

Comment

I saw Gauke getting off the Met line this morning.

I must have given him a really bad stare as he saw me and looked a bit freaked out by it.

He doesn't appear to be a confident man.

Part of me wishes I had got off the tube and spoken to him.
                  The other half knows there would be no point.

Comment

Originally posted by screwthis View Post
                    He doesn't appear to be a confident man.
                    This is typical of the breed when they venture outside the Wesminster 'bubble'. I crossed paths with Cleggy at Aberdeen airport a couple of weeks ago and gave him the withering look of contempt! Apparently my demeanour is rarely misunderstood

He looked like a rabbit in the headlights as his minder ushered him off to the Eastern lounge to protect him from the proles.
                    So many things I would like to have said.

Some time ago I had an opportunity to converse with Mark Oaten whilst he was a front bencher - that's another story.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
                      This is typical of the breed when they venture outside the Wesminster 'bubble'. I crossed paths with Cleggy at Aberdeen airport a couple of weeks ago and gave him the withering look of contempt! Apparently my demeanour is rarely misunderstood

He looked like a rabbit in the headlights as his minder ushered him off to the Eastern lounge to protect him from the proles.
                      So many things I would like to have said.

Some time ago I had an opportunity to converse with Mark Oaten whilst he was a front bencher - that's another story.
                      I have seen Ken Livingstone on the tube on three occasions.
                      I have equal or greater contempt for him.

He seems so thick skinned I expect he would just smile smugly if you stopped to have a go at him.

Gauke on the other hand looked super nervous.

I get the impression he is not sure of his direction.
                      He stuttered through his rebuttle to Baker.
                      I remember someone commenting that he sounded like he was on the ropes.

Maybe he's not comfortable doing the bidding of Her Majesty's Robbers and Criminals.

Comment

Working...
                      X