• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lord Pannick

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    And, whilst they may not have funded NTRT, they have already spent a large sum on the legal action.

Regarding the ECHR, it won't have been cheap using this guy to prepare the application.
    David Pannick, Baron Pannick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a great Xmas and new year everyone.
    "In his first case, in 1980, in the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council (led by Anthony Lester QC), his client - a convicted drug trafficker - was hanged."

Ha ha - I hope he's improved somewhat since then!!

Comment

Catch-up

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
      On reflection, it was a bad idea for NTRT to send out an email from a hotmail account - this was due to a problem with copying a large number of names from a spreadsheet to the blind copy field in the NTRT webmail. We did this as we wanted to make sure that members could not see other member's email addresses.

I will ensure the email is re-sent from the NTRT account over the weekend.

Regards

Santa
      Apologies - still being a bit dense after the Christmas break - was this sent out last weekend? I've not received anything from NTRT (Hotmail or otherwise) since 17th December...

Comment

Originally posted by honeyridges View Post
        Apologies - still being a bit dense after the Christmas break - was this sent out last weekend? I've not received anything from NTRT (Hotmail or otherwise) since 17th December...
        Hi Honeyridges,

You haven't missed anything. It was just an email sent out to members who we didn't have complete details for. If you didn't receive an email, your member details are up to date.

Thank you to everyone who did reply with their details.

Regarding the next NTRT newsletter yet, it will be a couple of weeks as per DR's last post.

Cheers

Santa
        'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
        Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
          very quiet in here of late. So whats the next steps, anyone?
          If you have any spare cash then buy lots of lube.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            If you have any spare cash then buy lots of lube.....
            As in we are going to be shafted ????
            SAY NO TO RETROSPECTIVE TAX

Comment

Judith Knott reply

I received a reply from Judith Knott, HMRC, via my MP. As others have already said, it was all a bit superficial (they couldn't even be bothered inserting my name into the blank space in the standard letter). Basically it harked back to the Judicial review/appeal, and asserted that nothing new had been added in the way of evidence since then!!! There then follows a bit of spin, saying that we were a minority of users of the scheme, and the matter had already been 'debated' twice in Parliament. It then signs off with the latest get-out as already used by Gauleiter Gauke - the matter is in the hands of the Adjudicator so it would be inappropriate to comment!

Looks like HMRC continue to adopt their bunker mentality; no surprise there really.

Comment

Any opinions?

What do people think the chances are that we'll be forced to cough up this year ? Or do you think nothing is likely to happen to 2015

Comment

Timescales

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                  What do people think the chances are that we'll be forced to cough up this year ? Or do you think nothing is likely to happen to 2015
                  Obviously it's impossible to say for certain but I think it's very unlikely HMRC would be in a position to enforce collection this year.

Firstly, there has to be a full hearing of the Huitson and Shiner appeals at the FTT. The courts are backed up and the cases haven't even been listed for hearing yet. I'd say it was 50/50 as to whether the cases will be heard this year.

When we do eventually get a hearing, it will probably take a further 6 months to get a decision. (That's how long it took in the recent Boyle case)
                  The Finance & Tax Tribunal

If the FTT ruling goes against us then HMRC could proceed with enforcement. However, they may hold off to see if there is an appeal to the upper tribunal (UT).

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Obviously it's impossible to say for certain but I think it's very unlikely HMRC would be in a position to enforce collection this year.

Firstly, there has to be a full hearing of the Huitson and Shiner appeals at the FTT. The courts are backed up and the cases haven't even been listed for hearing yet. I'd say it was 50/50 as to whether the cases will be heard this year.

When we do eventually get a hearing, it will probably take a further 6 months to get a decision. (That's how long it took in the recent Boyle case)
                    The Finance & Tax Tribunal

If the FTT ruling goes against us then HMRC could proceed with enforcement. However, they may hold off to see if there is an appeal to the upper tribunal (UT).
                    thanks DR, and do we know timelines for adjudicator consideration and decisions?

Comment

Originally posted by reckless View Post
                      I received a reply from Judith Knott, HMRC, via my MP. As others have already said, it was all a bit superficial (they couldn't even be bothered inserting my name into the blank space in the standard letter). Basically it harked back to the Judicial review/appeal, and asserted that nothing new had been added in the way of evidence since then!!! There then follows a bit of spin, saying that we were a minority of users of the scheme, and the matter had already been 'debated' twice in Parliament. It then signs off with the latest get-out as already used by Gauleiter Gauke - the matter is in the hands of the Adjudicator so it would be inappropriate to comment!

Looks like HMRC continue to adopt their bunker mentality; no surprise there really.
                      I got the same letter Reckless.

Comment

Working...
                      X