• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cojak - could all posts with a persons name be removed please?

Comment

Done, but if he's such an idiot to go about asking sensitive questions to anyone other than NTRT itself he deserves to be named.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Reply from Lin Homer via PM

Not sure whether any others have received standard letter from Lin Homer, HMRC in response to their MP writing to Homer asking for an investigation into their behaviour. Got mine from Cameron's office this morning.

Standard tripe highlighting JR , saying that same evidence was put forward then as was sent to the Adjudicator etc etc. Can't comment further about the Adjudicator complaint etc etc. And the final paragraph says they 'carefully considered the claims of inappropriate behaviour' but scheme users "..could not provide us with any credible evidence to substantiate them." HMRC really do live in a parallel universe.

Full letter sent to Whitehouse and NTRT anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Morlock View Post
          I have received a mail from a hotmail account asking for NTRT members' details. Is this kosher...?
          On reflection, it was a bad idea for NTRT to send out an email from a hotmail account - this was due to a problem with copying a large number of names from a spreadsheet to the blind copy field in the NTRT webmail. We did this as we wanted to make sure that members could not see other member's email addresses.

I will ensure the email is re-sent from the NTRT account over the weekend.

Regards

Santa
          'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
          Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Hi normalbloke.
            Yes I got the same from Mr Cameron's office. No comment from the man himself. I await the investigation by the independent adjudicator as HMRC are incapable of taking an impartial view. I didn't think much of the structure of the letter and don't think much time was spent on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

More lies & spin from our esteemed leaders - Another No to Retro coming on from theEU

By Robert Mendick, Holly Watt and Claire Newell
              9:30PM GMT 04 Jan 2014

Romanians and Bulgarians coming to work can avoid paying taxes in Britain because of a loophole.
              Instead they can pay taxes at home where basic rates are much lower.
              The rules allow European workers “posted” to Britain for less than two years to pay national insurance and, in some cases, income tax in their own country.

Almost 100,000 EU immigrants already in Britain are taking advantage of the regulations.

The head of Romania’s biggest recruitment agency, which has just set up an office in London, said yesterday it was perfectly legitimate for workers coming to Britain to pay tax in their own country. (just like our scheme was).

“If you are not becoming a tax resident because you are a temporary worker you can pay the tax in your country of origin,” said Andreas Cser, president of Tjobs Recruit. “If you don’t become resident in Britain then you can end up paying taxes in Romania and Bulgaria.” His company was yesterday advertising 4,500 jobs for Romanians in Britain including taxi drivers, care assistants, doctors and beauticians.

On Jan 1, Britain lifted restrictions on Romanians and Bulgarians coming to work. Some will be eligible — quite legally — to pay taxes abroad. EU migrants working in Britain but paying tax abroad would be entitled to some free health care, housing benefit and child benefit.

Bulgaria charges a flat rate of tax of just 10 per cent on earnings while Romania levies just 16 per cent, compared with a basic UK rate of tax of 32 per cent, comprised of 20 per cent income tax and National Insurance contributions at 12 per cent.

Tjobs advertises the service on its website, offering to fill out the correct forms to comply with UK and EU rules.

Under EU rules, workers may be posted abroad for up to two years — and potentially longer — allowing them to pay the equivalent of national insurance in their home state. “Posted” workers’ contracts must respect the labour law of the host country, but social security charges remain those of the home state.

Separate UK tax treaties can also allow workers to continue to pay income tax in their home country.

To qualify, migrant workers must not spend more than half the year in Britain. But with wages four and five times higher in the UK than in Romania or Bulgaria, a six-month job in Britain is equivalent to a salary of at least two years back home.

The Government admits that its data on the number of “posted” is patchy.

It estimates that about 0.3 per cent of the workforce – equivalent to more than 90,000 people – are employed and taxed in another country. Mr Cser said last week: “It is hard to say how many people [migrating] will pay their taxes in Romania.”

Tjobs is reckoned to cover about 90 per cent of the market for Romanian migrant workers. “There are people living in Britain on benefits, like housing benefits and unemployment benefit, who don’t want to work,” said Mr Cser. “I don’t want to blame British people for not doing menial jobs but you have to ask the Government why this is.”

Mark Reckless, Tory MP and member of the home affairs select committee, said yesterday: “My concern has always been that migrant workers are bringing down salaries and the money they earn doesn’t always get spent here.”

Rhodri Thomas, an employment lawyer at Watson Farley and Williams, said rules on posted workers were complex.

Mr Thomas said: “If you’re posted from one European Economic Area state to another for less than two years, you will quite often find that you can, or must, continue to pay social security contributions in your 'home’ state.”

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                Hi normalbloke.
                Yes I got the same from Mr Cameron's office. No comment from the man himself. I await the investigation by the independent adjudicator as HMRC are incapable of taking an impartial view. I didn't think much of the structure of the letter and don't think much time was spent on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
                Our MPs are truly expert in the art of no comment when it suits them. Can't expect anything else I suppose.

Comment

very quiet in here of late. So whats the next steps, anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                    very quiet in here of late. So whats the next steps, anyone?
                    There will be an update in the next NTRT newsletter in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Got the same bog standard reply as above today from Lin Homer via my MP.

Comment

Working...
                      X