• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email sent...

...plus emails sent from 8 colleagues...

Comment

Email to Gauke

Mrs Fireship has also put a shot across Gauke's bow!

Comment

Email sent to David Gauke

...and copied to my MP.

Comment

Torpedo away this morning. God speed.

Good news SD on the Afriyie front. 1 up for the Windsor resistance.

Comment

Does anybody know the time for the debate on Thursday and, if it can be heard online?

Also, if a decision is made in our favor, does it take immediate effect or can hmrc contest it?

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
              Does anybody know the time for the debate on Thursday and, if it can be heard online?

Also, if a decision is made in our favor, does it take immediate effect or can hmrc contest it?
              I know I am really stupid and probably have got this wrong - but if it is passed by the committee then doesn't it have to be voted on by parliament?

Once that is done is will be pretty much game over for HMRC - though they will probably still claim the retrospective law makes not difference to their case and they will win anyway!

Comment

Reality check

Although we are in a stronger position than we were this time last year, when Nigel Mills' amendment was withdrawn, let's not get carried away.

The amendment is just part of the campaign, not the be all and end all.

Comment

I have sent multiple emails as requested.
                  Strange thing - my MP sent an email last night that was much more supportive and encouraging than he has been to date. He referred to the amendment as a 'probing amendment' that probably will not be carried to a vote. Not sure what this really means but I'm sure it is part of the overall chess game that is played out. Anything that raises the awareness of how HMRC duped Parliament and continues to manipulate Ministers and MP's to cover their dirty tracks has to be a good thing.

Maybe the email storm that hit the Treasury yesterday caused some conversation in the tea rooms at least.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
                    I have sent multiple emails as requested.
                    Strange thing - my MP sent an email last night that was much more supportive and encouraging than he has been to date. He referred to the amendment as a 'probing amendment' that probably will not be carried to a vote. Not sure what this really means but I'm sure it is part of the overall chess game that is played out. Anything that raises the awareness of how HMRC duped Parliament and continues to manipulate Ministers and MP's to cover their dirty tracks has to be a good thing.

Maybe the email storm that hit the Treasury yesterday caused some conversation in the tea rooms at least.
                    It does make me wonder, Gauke must be pretty smart, you would think. He must know he is being used by HMRC as their puppet to do their dirty work surely!!

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
                      Strange thing - my MP sent an email last night that was much more supportive and encouraging than he has been to date. He referred to the amendment as a 'probing amendment' that probably will not be carried to a vote. Not sure what this really means
                      Basically means the people raising the amendment will back down at the first sign of opposition; just as happened last time.

In summary, don't get your hopes up. Its a 1 in a 100 chance.

Comment

Working...
                      X