• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by p4nd4b34r View Post
    just made my contribution - could only afford £200 but will contribute again next month
    Thank you.

The response so far has been awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Not mocking just saying, one rule for you one rule for them.

Whether you guys are right or wrong on the BN66/S58 thing is not for me to say as I'm not affected as I was never a scheme user. Just saying like.
      You could say that's what part of this campaign is hi-lighting.
      MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Sorry if this has been suggested already but would it be a good idea to have a timeline on the front page of the No To Retrospective Taxation | Campaign Against Retrospective Tax Legislation website showing exactly when we started getting the different letters from hmrc ?

There seems to be a lot of talk about hmrc stating all along that they told us it didnt work - even though they never originally sent us letters to tell us.

cheers

Basher.

Comment

Timelines

Originally posted by Basher View Post
          Sorry if this has been suggested already but would it be a good idea to have a timeline on the front page of the No To Retrospective Taxation | Campaign Against Retrospective Tax Legislation website showing exactly when we started getting the different letters from hmrc ?

There seems to be a lot of talk about hmrc stating all along that they told us it didnt work - even though they never originally sent us letters to tell us.

cheers

Basher.
          You may find what you are looking for here...

Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation
          Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
          "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by Emigre View Post
            You may find what you are looking for here...

Latest News | No To Retrospective Taxation
            Perfect !!!

Comment

Zac Goldsmith

Does anyone have Zac Goldsmith as their MP?

I have not received any useful response, the first was he'll pass my email onto DG and that was over a month ago, I asked him why I had heard nothing and he just responded with it takes 3 weeks, and if it's longer he'll chase it up. It's been nearly 2 months and still nothing. I also emailed again using an alias and got the following many weeks after the original email.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              As discussed, I’ve requested clarity from the Treasury department on retrospective tax and Section 58 of the Finance Act 2008, and I have been told the following information:

The Government set out its position on retrospection in the “Tackling Tax Avoidance” document, produced as part of the Budget 2011. The Government is clear that the deterrent effect of acting retrospectively needs to be balanced against the need for maintaining the UK tax system’s reputation for predictability, stability and simplicity. In particular the Protocol states that changes to tax legislation where the change takes effect retrospectively will be wholly exceptional.

The 2008 Finance Act ensures that the UK has always retained the right to tax its own residents. The Act was introduced in response to an artificial avoidance scheme used by more than 3,000 taxpayers. This scheme looked to exploit a perceived loophole in legislation enacted in 1987 that was intended to put beyond doubt that the UK has always retained the right to tax its own residents.

In two judicial reviews, the Courts have found that the retrospective element of the legislation is proportionate and compatible with the European Convention on Human Rights. While I am sorry to hear you have been affected by Section 58, the Government accepts the Courts’ verdicts that the changes were both a proportionate and legal response to the tax avoidance undertaken.

I understand that HMRC has made it consistently made it clear that it considered that the scheme did not work and has regularly recommended that payments on account be made. HMRC has established procedures to consider allowing Time to Pay for those with short term difficulties meeting liabilities as they fall due.

If you require my assistance in contacting HMRC to arrange a personalised payment plan, or if you need any more information, please do let me know.

>>>>>>>>>>

Basically useless.
              esspecially the HMRC made it consistently clear - no they did not.

Comment

Whitehouse are preparing a full rebuttal to the Gauke letter.

I will post again when this is available to send to MPs.

Comment

IMPORTANT

Our group met with a former Minister this morning. I'm not going to say who (so don't ask) because it's a tad sensitive. I'm not even going to reveal their gender.

They were sympathetic and agreed to help if they can.

Their overwhelming advice to us was:

1. It's 100% vital that everyone keeps on bombarding their MPs with letter after letter after letter - so many letters that the MPs just want the matter to go away

2. Full rebuttals (by way of even further letters!) to each stage of Gauke's standard letters are vital

Comment

Are emails enough?

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Our group met with a former Minister this morning. I'm not going to say who (so don't ask) because it's a tad sensitive. I'm not even going to reveal their gender.

They were sympathetic and agreed to help if they can.

Their overwhelming advice to us was:

1. It's 100% vital that everyone keeps on bombarding their MPs with letter after letter after letter - so many letters that the MPs just want the matter to go away

2. Full rebuttals (by way of even further letters!) to each stage of Gauke's standard letters are vital
                    Are emails good enough or should we post everything too?
                    http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by TalkingCheese View Post
                      Are emails good enough or should we post everything too?
                      Emails are fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X