• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ombudsman enquiry

Originally posted by Buzby View Post
    shouldn't we now go to the ombudsman to get the facts about what HMRC told JK in 2008? from her email it looks like she had been misled and then wouldn't it make it easier for MP's to understand the injustice of section 58?
    The matter is in hand.

Please refer to the objectives of the campaign and watch the updates on the website.

Comment

From reading above/back a bit :

Some MPs seem to be taking the standard HMRC response and passing it off as their own.
      Please be clear (or correct me if I'm wrong), these words are HMRCs ... I got that response in an HMRC letter head but I also got my local MP's support in a separate letter both sent in the same envelope to me by my MP.

That's not to say that some MPs clearly won't be interested in helping us but hey ho ....
      Last edited by AlbionRovers; 30 April 2012, 13:35.

Comment

Same ole...

Just reading B001 - Clive Sheldon (HMRCs QC) on A1P1 and his justification.

At the very end, point 85 mentions:
        "...In Huitson, it was
        possible to rely on a couple of factors (i) the precedent of Padmore meant that
        taxpayers should have been alert to the possibility of retrospective legislation in
        countering anti-avoidance measures (although the Claimant argued, not
        retrospectivity after 6-7 years of ‘inaction’); and (ii) express warning letters from
        HMRC that tax was payable, and that money should be paid on account."

(i) Putting aside the Padmore argument, which gave us no alert, he has simply chosen to ignore the 6-7 years of inaction and chosen not to try and defend it
        (ii) There is our old friend again; express warning letters that tax was payable and money should be paid on account.

Between 2001 and 2007 did thousands of letters get lost in the post ? How can their QC even claim this ? Did he just take someones passing comment or word for it ? Perhaps this is where the current letters stem from.
        http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Reading the minds of Treasury Officials

I've made this up of course but I bet it's not far from the truth.

Jnr Official: Sir, we are getting letters from the Section 58 lot again.
          Snr Official: That's because their appeal was rejected by the Supreme Court. We get a spate of these letters every so often.

Jnr Official: Shall we inform the Minister?
          Snr Official: I'll mention it in passing but we/HMRC can deal with this.

Jnr Official: What shall we respond with?
          Snr Official: Just fob them off with this...

Jnr Official: What if we get further letters challenging this?
          Snr Official: We will come up with something else to get rid of them. If past experience is anything to go by, they will soon give up.

What they probably don't know yet is that we've hired a lobbying company and this time we mean business.

Comment

If anyone needs guidance on what to write to their MP etc.

Especially if you've had the Gaukian "fob off" and are unsure how to respond.

Just send an email to:

info AT notoretrotax.org.uk

Don't let the buggers off the hook!

Comment

No To Retro Tax Website

Good work with the website guys.

Just wondering if it would be possible/worthwhile to add an option to share to LinkedIn to the site?

Just a thought that it may get the site noticed by other people affected that don't check this site much.

Comment

Another campaigner

I've just joined the campaign on NTRT

Written to my MP (James Arbuthnot, Conservative, North East Hampshire) and requested a meeting.

Informed Liane at the Whithouse Group

Will inform all of his response

Appreciate all your efforts in organising the campaign

Comment

Originally posted by BS81 View Post
                  Good work with the website guys.

Just wondering if it would be possible/worthwhile to add an option to share to LinkedIn to the site?

Just a thought that it may get the site noticed by other people affected that don't check this site much.
                  There is... if you hover over the orange "+ share" icon and select "more". Linked-in is in the list.
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Welcome

Originally posted by St Jude View Post
                    I've just joined the campaign on NTRT

Written to my MP (James Arbuthnot, Conservative, North East Hampshire) and requested a meeting.

Informed Liane at the Whithouse Group

Will inform all of his response

Appreciate all your efforts in organising the campaign
                    Welcome to our thread, and congratulations for getting the meeting sorted with your MP. This is a numbers game. The vast majority of MPs contacted, when they hear the true facts rather than those trotted out by Ministers, support us.
                    Join the No To Retro Tax Campaign Now
                    "Tax evasion is easy: it involves breaking the law. By tax avoidance OECD means unacceptable avoidance ... This can be contrasted with acceptable tax planning. What is critical is transparency" - Donald Johnston, Secretary-General, OECD

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                      There is... if you hover over the orange "+ share" icon and select "more". Linked-in is in the list.
                      Ah makes sense. Never noticed it. I was just looking for the LinkedIn icon

Comment

Working...
                      X