• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Due to people being on holiday, the next newsletter will be sent after Easter.
    Hi DR. Will there be any comms from Montpelier on the FTT?

Comment

1. Under what grounds can Huitson legitimately 'win' at the FTT?

2. Will FTT concider arguements such as parliament being misled or the 'human impact' when making a decision?

3. Would it be in the scope of the FTT to rule the retrospective interest payments invalid?

4. What can MP's now do to have any outcome on the FTT?

Comment

Originally posted by helen7 View Post
        1. Under what grounds can Huitson legitimately 'win' at the FTT?

2. Will FTT concider arguements such as parliament being misled or the 'human impact' when making a decision?

3. Would it be in the scope of the FTT to rule the retrospective interest payments invalid?

4. What can MP's now do to have any outcome on the FTT?
        I know the first tier tribunal replaced the special commissioners that this was originally supposed to go in front of, (before the time machine came into play)....given that HMRC didn't want to allow us in front of them before they had changed the law i'm not sure what is the best we could now get from this tribunal.

Does anyone have any idea ?

Cheers

Comment

HMRC got the law changed retrospectively with the sole intention of screwing us over so unless they botched the legislation I wouldn't expect much joy from a tax tribunal.

Unless anyone knows differently, I'd say we were fvcked.

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Darko View Post
            HMRC got the law changed retrospectively with the sole intention of screwing us over so unless they botched the legislation I wouldn't expect much joy from a tax tribunal.

Unless anyone knows differently, I'd say we were fvcked.
            At least bankruptcy only lasts a year now. Doesn't matter how much extra interest they add on the wont get any of it so they can make the bill as large as they like.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              At least bankruptcy only lasts a year now. Doesn't matter how much extra interest they add on the wont get any of it so they can make the bill as large as they like.
              Yes - really well thought out.

Comment

Originally posted by swede View Post
                Yes - really well thought out.
                It's awful really, don't think they have thought about it in the slightest. They probably think they will get a nice big tax receipt, when in fact, and this may sound flippant but not meant to be so apologies if its comes across like that. They are more likely to get a large number of bankruptcies and god forbid a couple of suicides. I know a guy in his sixties who has got nowhere to turn and is now retired since this all started. He joined the scheme in the early 2000's and has now stopped working. His wife doesn't even know the full extent of the problem. I dread to think where this will take him and his family should it go against us.

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                  I know a guy in his sixties who has got nowhere to turn and is now retired since this all started.
                  I too am in a similar position.
                  Currently working in what will probably be my last gig. Hanging my boots up by Christmas which should be a good news story.
                  Unfortunately my IR35 avoidance planning has resulted in this enormous sword of Damocles over us. If it wasn't for NTRT and the activities of Whitehouse I dread to think just how desperate things might be for my wife and I.

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
                    I too am in a similar position.
                    Currently working in what will probably be my last gig. Hanging my boots up by Christmas which should be a good news story.
                    Unfortunately my IR35 avoidance planning has resulted in this enormous sword of Damocles over us. If it wasn't for NTRT and the activities of Whitehouse I dread to think just how desperate things might be for my wife and I.
                    I'm just outright depressed. 5 years saving every penny, downsized property, still dont have my liability covered and have extremely low expectations the government will listen. Whilst I fully appreciate NTRTs efforts and everyone else who's participated, I think it remains a long shot. Lets hope the next newsletter will be upbeat enough to help us all through another month.

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
                      I'm just outright depressed. 5 years saving every penny, downsized property, still dont have my liability covered and have extremely low expectations the government will listen. Whilst I fully appreciate NTRTs efforts and everyone else who's participated, I think it remains a long shot. Lets hope the next newsletter will be upbeat enough to help us all through another month.
                      You're not alone.

Still, a long shot has to be better than nothing though. This is why I've made an appointment to see my MP. A bit daunting Yes, but I would not be doing right by my family if I sat back and let this happen without knowing that I had done EVERYTHING possible in my power - I just hope I can remain rational in my meeting :-)

Comment

Working...
                      X