• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lucozade View Post
    Experienced another sleepless night worrying about the what ifs.

I'm now going to step up my game and insist on a new meeting with my MP as he's ignoring my letters.

For those that have had recent success - any pointers? Documentation to send in an advance, etc.

While my MP always replied promptly to my letters he always ignored the bit where I had asked for a meeting. However the other week I phoned his office and asked for a meeting and got an appointment there and then for the following week. Try phoning instead of writing.

While being as vague as possible as to what I wanted to talk to him about, his secretary (who must have looked me up on the recent pain in the arse list) asked me if it was regarding "the same campaign and if so then his views were/would still be in line with that of the government blah blah". I just said yes it was and I still had things to say so still wanted the meeting and she was fine with that and booked me in a half hour slot.

I just took in some info from the latest toolkit and also the briefing note published after the January NTRT presentation in Parliament (which I left with him to read as he did not attend that). I knew my MP was aware of S.58 so I didn't need to give him much of a background but you might like to prepare something about that if you don't think he has prior knowledge. Maybe give Whitehouse a call and see if they have any specific stuff they feel might be useful depending on who your MP is.

I definitely feel that I have engaged with him now we have met face to face rather than just being reluctant pen-pals.

Comment

First tier tribunal

Just to confirm what BP said a couple of days ago.

HMRC are in the process of taking Huitson to the FTT. They are also proceeding against the former PwC clients.

If HMRC win at the FTT they will almost certainly move to enforce collection there and then, irrespective of any appeals to the upper tribunal.

Those who are able to pay will have no choice but to cough up. Only those facing bankruptcy would be exempt from immediate payment.

HM Revenue & Customs: Enforcement of judgements in litigation

Although BP said Montpelier don't expect an FTT hearing until 2014, HMRC may have other ideas and might try to fast track it.

If you haven't got behind NTRT already, now might be the time to do so!

Last chance saloon and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post

HMRC are in the process of taking Huitson to the FTT. They are also proceeding against the former PwC clients.

If HMRC win at the FTT they will almost certainly move to enforce collection there and then, irrespective of any appeals to the upper tribunal.

Those who are able to pay will have no choice but to cough up. Only those facing bankruptcy would be exempt from immediate payment.

Although BP said Montpelier don't expect an FTT hearing until 2014, HMRC may have other ideas and might try to fast track it.

Cheers DR.

Does Huitson have some decent backing / representation ?

Comment

MP meeting booked for 12th April

Managed to get a face-to-face meeting booked with my MP (Braintree) for 12th April.

Comment

Cheers DR.

Does Huitson have some decent backing / representation ?
            He is being represented by Montpelier and we are currently trying to find out which QC they will be using.

One thing I forgot to mention is that HMRC are already pushing the former PwC litigants for payment. They are having to apply separately to the FTT just to postpone payment pending their actual appeal.

Comment

He is being represented by Montpelier and we are currently trying to find out which QC they will be using.

One thing I forgot to mention is that HMRC are already pushing the former PwC litigants for payment. They are having to apply separately to the FTT just to postpone payment pending their actual appeal.
              This isn't the normal "finish the week off on a high" type post.

Do we have any hope left to clutch onto?

Comment

Where do we go now with the NTRT stuff, is this cross party letter being or has been sent through?

This all sounds pretty miserable.....

Comment

This isn't the normal "finish the week off on a high" type post.

Do we have any hope left to clutch onto?
                  Sorry about that. My message was more aimed at non-members.

The FTT had to come along eventually and it's only surprising that it's taken HMRC a year since the Supreme Court decision to start the ball rolling.

The next NTRT newsletter should contain some more positive news.

Comment

Sorry about that. My message was more aimed at non-members.

The FTT had to come along eventually and it's only surprising that it's taken HMRC a year since the Supreme Court decision to start the ball rolling.

The next NTRT newsletter should contain some more positive news.
                    No worries DR.

Nothing comes as a surprise to me regarding HMRC. In fact if I had to put money on it I'd say they enjoy the torture they are putting us through. Not to mention the extra interest they are potentially making.

If I win the Euromillions tonight I'm still not paying HMRC and will fight it to the bitter end.

In my opinion the campaign needs to become mainstream. It's not just 3000 contractors we are trying to protect - it's the principal of a democratic government being allowed to change the law retrospectively - no matter how they try and justify it it's totally wrong.

Comment

Whilst waiting to arrange a meeting with my MP I decided to tweet and facebook a link to the NTRT website.

Comment

Working...
                      X