• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
    Gauke's letter also states that 'Representatives of this lobby group have made a number of misleading assertions in briefings sent to their members for use in writing to their MP'.
    That's a bit rich after all the crap from HMRC he's peddled us.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      That's a bit rich after all the crap from HMRC he's peddled us.
      Very rich, given that this whole saga is based on (at best) misleading assertions by HMRC.
      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Taffia View Post
        Just got a letter from my MP, along with a 6 page letter from Gauke concluding that 'those seeking to avoid tax through aggressive schemes such as this must accept the risk that the scheme they have chosen does not work, and be prepared for the consequences'.

Gauke's letter also states that 'Representatives of this lobby group have made a number of misleading assertions in briefings sent to their members for use in writing to their MP'.

This is in response to a letter my MP sent him the day after the January briefing.

Anyone got something similar?

In the process of setting up a meeting with my MP anyway, so quite timely really.
        Did that Gauke letter have a date on it at all ? Just wondering if it was penned before the meeting with NTRT or not....

Comment

Originally posted by GBHuhd View Post
          Did that Gauke letter have a date on it at all ? Just wondering if it was penned before the meeting with NTRT or not....
          March 4th. Just sent to Whitehouse.

Comment

I assume these misleading assertions weren't described in detail by gauge? I.e. what exactly is incorrect, Grrrrr!

Trying smoke and mirrors it appears. I guess he hopes it will generally be believed without having to explain what exactly is misleading.

Wont escape that easy dave!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
              I assume these misleading assertions weren't described in detail by gauge? I.e. what exactly is incorrect, Grrrrr!

Trying smoke and mirrors it appears. I guess he hopes it will generally be believed without having to explain what exactly is misleading.

Wont escape that easy dave!
              6 page letter. NTRT misrepresenting. Humm, me thinks we are getting the guys back up, how doesit help our cause ?

Comment

Originally posted by travellingknob View Post
                6 page letter. NTRT misrepresenting. Humm, me thinks we are getting the guys back up, how doesit help our cause ?
                We believe HMRC are writing these letters, so it's not surprising that they are attempting to discredit us.

Comment

We believe HMRC are writing these letters, so it's not surprising that they are attempting to discredit us.
                  They're beginning to sound like John Cleese in Monty Python's 'Argument' sketch. The one where he does nothing but repeat "No I didn't", "No it isn't".

Maybe it's dressed up in more authoritative language, but it amounts to the same thing.

Comment

They can only do that if its spin but so far NTRT have posted very strong evidence to support everything they've said.

Comment

MP's Support

I have heard today that my MP is happy to sign a cross-party letter to the Chancellor, demanding the removal of the retrospective element of section 58. It is heartening that some MPs are principled in their representation of their constituents. I know who I'll be voting for next time.

Here's hoping there are a good many other like-minded MPs out there too.

Comment

Working...
                      X