• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swede View Post
    No, not at all - it was an enquiry I made to MP. There was a suggestion - about a year ago I think - that asking HMRC to close enquiries if they were not made inside the timeframe might be fruitful - I would have to trawl through the archives to find details. I just wanted to know if any if mine fell into this category.
    Don't hold your breath - I had two tax years reopened under Discovery several years past the deadline - I queried this with HMRC and they've come back stating there was insufficient information on the tax return to determine if I'd used MontP's scheme or not. Apparently, mentioning IOM DTA is not enough to wake up whichever monkey checked my return originally and thought it was ok...

I've had an extended conversation with HMRC over this and I'm currently waiting for our NTRT boffins to draft a suitable response to their arguments...

Comment

There was a suggestion - about a year ago I think - that asking HMRC to close enquiries if they were not made inside the timeframe might be fruitful - I would have to trawl through the archives to find details.
      There was a bit of confusion within Montp over this. We were led to believe that HMRC had withdrawn a couple of CNs, where enquiries had been opened under discovery, but they turned out to be procedural errors.

As things currently stand, HMRC appear to be sticking to their guns that they were entitled to use discovery to open enquiries beyond the 12-month window. Ultimately, this will have to be decided by a tribunal.

Comment

Originally posted by BettySwollocks View Post
        Don't hold your breath - I had two tax years reopened under Discovery several years past the deadline - I queried this with HMRC and they've come back stating there was insufficient information on the tax return to determine if I'd used MontP's scheme or not. Apparently, mentioning IOM DTA is not enough to wake up whichever monkey checked my return originally and thought it was ok...

I've had an extended conversation with HMRC over this and I'm currently waiting for our NTRT boffins to draft a suitable response to their arguments...
        I'd look forward to hearing about that too!

Comment

Question...

Understand this is probably personal information but out of curiousity, for those who have been caught up in this whole s58 debarcle, what have HMRC actually asked for?

1. Have they calculated what you earnt and then calculated what they believe the tax "should" have been and sent you a bill for that?

2. Done the above and also charged interest @ x% ?

3. Done both of the above and also issued a fine?

Or a combination, or none of the above?

Comment

Originally posted by seanb85 View Post
            Understand this is probably personal information but out of curiousity, for those who have been caught up in this whole s58 debarcle, what have HMRC actually asked for?

1. Have they calculated what you earnt and then calculated what they believe the tax "should" have been and sent you a bill for that?

YES

NOT INCLUDE IN MY CALC SO NO IDEA WHAT THE REAL TOTAL IS

NO

See above
            Last edited by smalldog; 22 January 2013, 12:59.

Comment

Originally posted by seanb85 View Post
              understand this is probably personal information but out of curiousity, for those who have been caught up in this whole s58 debarcle, what have hmrc actually asked for?

1. Yes
              2. Yes
              3. No

hth

Comment

I'd look forward to hearing about that too!
                I'll keep this forum posted as and when there are further developments...

Comment

Just heard from our chairman that a newsletter should be coming out before the end of Jan with, amongst other things, an update on the Parliamentary briefing event and the meeting with Treasury officials.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
                    Just heard from our chairman that a newsletter should be coming out before the end of Jan with, amongst other things, an update on the Parliamentary briefing event and the meeting with Treasury officials.
                    Thanks DR for the heads up!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      You had the money for a CTD? You must be well off. I have not had that much for years.

It was very tough finding the money - but I found the £200 to join. If I ever get any cash then NTRT will be getting a big donation.

If you do take money out of the CTD then make sure £200 goes to NTRT.

I hope you are at least writing to your MP?
                      Well off, because I put some money in a CTD? I've no wish to discuss my personal circumstances here, save to say that everyone is under different pressures, and I have my own to worry about.

There used to be at the start of each main thread a set of useful links which I now can't find. Guess I'll keep on digging.

Comment

Working...
                      X