• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long have you held the CTD because they stop interest from accuring - and the moment you cash it in, you lose all the benefit of that.

Appreciate you need the money now, but if HMRC do come knocking, you could find your liability suddenly jumps by 50%.

If you've only held the CTD for a year or so, it won't make much difference.

Comment

Originally posted by phileds View Post
      I'm down on my uppers, which is why I am thinking of cashing in my CTD - I can't afford to have the money in HMG's pocket anymore, and have a tax bill coming up. I certainly can't afford to spend £200 for membership of the NTRT.

Can anyone answer my questions?
      You had the money for a CTD? You must be well off. I have not had that much for years.

It was very tough finding the money - but I found the £200 to join. If I ever get any cash then NTRT will be getting a big donation.

If you do take money out of the CTD then make sure £200 goes to NTRT.

I hope you are at least writing to your MP?

Comment

Hi,

I've just had HMRC come through with a notice of further assessment to the tune of £shedloads for 2006/7 when I was a Montp member

I AM a NTRT member, and read the newsletters and wrote to my MP etc, but I'm not sure if that helps me now.

I have 30 days to pay up or they add another 5% and accrue more interest etc.

Even if NTRT had a good day at parliament recently, presumably this isn't going to produce any immediate results....so I would seem to have to pay out now or risk it going up and up and up.

I was a montp member for several years so am expecting them to turn their beady eyes towards later years too

Has anyone else started receiving these and what's best advice on how to proceed - bend over or appeal in some way that they haven't heard a thousand times already?

tnx

Comment

The regulars will be here soon enough but I do know that you need to contact Montp immediately.

Like now.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by freeranger View Post
            Hi,

I've just had HMRC come through with a notice of further assessment to the tune of £shedloads for 2006/7 when I was a Montp member

I AM a NTRT member, and read the newsletters and wrote to my MP etc, but I'm not sure if that helps me now.

I have 30 days to pay up or they add another 5% and accrue more interest etc.

Even if NTRT had a good day at parliament recently, presumably this isn't going to produce any immediate results....so I would seem to have to pay out now or risk it going up and up and up.

I was a montp member for several years so am expecting them to turn their beady eyes towards later years too

Has anyone else started receiving these and what's best advice on how to proceed - bend over or appeal in some way that they haven't heard a thousand times already?

tnx
            Welcome

Pass the notice onto NW or TQ at Montpelier and they will appeal it for you. Make sure you ask them to confirm it has been done - as the next 2 weeks are their busiest time of year.

If you have the money get a CTD. NEVER EVER pay up directly.

Don't worry. There are 2000 of us in the same boat - probably about 10% of whom will be bankrupted if we finally lose. You are not alone.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              The regulars will be here soon enough but I do know that you need to contact Montp immediately.

Like now.
              Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              blah blah blah
              Was that fast enough for you? Have you perma-banned assguru yet?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Welcome

Pass the notice onto NW or TQ at Montpelier and they will appeal it for you. Make sure you ask them to confirm it has been done - as the next 2 weeks are their busiest time of year.
                Hi, thanks. I sent an email yesterday when I got it, but I haven't had dealing with them in so long I don't know if their email addresses are still current.
                Last time I tried to contact someone there, they'd moved on.
                The notice says that a copy has been sent to "[my] agents, Montpelier Tax Consultants" so presumably they already have a copy.

I will see if they come back to me this morning in response to my email.

If you have the money get a CTD. NEVER EVER pay up directly.
                What is that and how do I get one of them? I don't have all of the money, no. I could scrape together some of it though I guess...

Thanks for fast responses!

Comment

Hi, thanks. I sent an email yesterday when I got it, but I haven't had dealing with them in so long I don't know if their email addresses are still current.
                  Last time I tried to contact someone there, they'd moved on.
                  The notice says that a copy has been sent to "[my] agents, Montpelier Tax Consultants" so presumably they already have a copy.

I will see if they come back to me this morning in response to my email.

What is that and how do I get one of them? I don't have all of the money, no. I could scrape together some of it though I guess...

Thanks for fast responses!
                  Do not assume anything. I don't have the email addresses of NW and TQ handy. If someone pings you their email addresses then great - if not call montpelier when their offices open and ask to speak to one of them.

CTD - read these 2 posts :-

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post1065107

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...tml#post877547

Comment

tnx for the links.
                    Presumably I could just get a CTD and then apply it to e.g. my 2013 tax liability if I don't have to use it for retrospective purposes?

re: MontP - the IOM arm seems to have disappeared completely?
                    I have a number for NW ending in 6443 but that just rings out.
                    Is that still current or have they moved somewhere?
                    Maybe it's just early and she's not in the office yet...

Comment

tnx for the links.
                      Presumably I could just get a CTD and then apply it to e.g. my 2013 tax liability if I don't have to use it for retrospective purposes?

re: MontP - the IOM arm seems to have disappeared completely?
                      I have a number for NW ending in 6443 but that just rings out.
                      Is that still current or have they moved somewhere?
                      Maybe it's just early and she's not in the office yet...
                      Hi FR, I believe you can cash the CTD in if you dont need it. Will PM you contact details...
                      http://notoretrotax.org.uk/

Comment

Working...
                      X