• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Just to let you know that the briefing event went very well. We had a good attendance, despite it clashing with the welfare reform debate in the commons.

Our chairman & deputy did us really proud with an excellent polished presentation to MPs.

More details to follow in due course.
    well done guys. Look forward to the report

Comment

Originally posted by OnYourBikeGB View Post
      You couldn't make it up, could you? A few years ago MPs were likely bragging about how these contracts were excellent value for the taxpayer etc.
      Speechless. What the hell's happening here. We're sweating financial oblivion and companies are walking out the door with a 3.5% deal and an IOU. What a croc HMRC. Good news DR on the brief.

Comment

Not a good week for HMR&C WOODEN SPOON AWARDS: You branded HMRC's service hopeless and tax boss Lin Homer wouldn't even collect our award | This is Money
        Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          Just to let you know that the briefing event went very well. We had a good attendance, despite it clashing with the welfare reform debate in the commons.

Our chairman & deputy did us really proud with an excellent polished presentation to MPs.

More details to follow in due course.
          Well done to all those involved in the briefing event. Your tireless efforts are greatly appreciated. First donation of the New Year has been sent.

Comment

Contact from MP following briefing event

I received a very positive email from my MP at around 4.30pm yesterday afternoon, shortly after his attendance at the briefing event. As he'd previously only promised to try to attend the event (dependent on other House business) I was pleased he'd made it along at all, but what really encouraged me was the upbeat tone of his message.

An excerpt:
            Further to the above matter I duly attended the briefing meeting this afternoon organised by the No To Retro Tax campaign and I now have a much fuller understanding of all the issues involved. The Campaign explained they are going to pursue a complaint to the Ombudsman once they have exhausted the HMRC Appeals Procedure and no doubt they will keep members of the Campaign updated through their excellent website which I have been reading today.

He then went on to pledge support in respect of certain future actions that the Campaign may be considering taking.

If I'm honest, prior to yesterday's event he'd only ever appeared politely interested in this issue. From this email I think his support is more assured. And if this is typical of the reaction of those MPs who attended, I think yesterday's event will prove to have been well worthwhile.

Well done indeed to all those involved.

(Original email forwarded to Whitehouse).

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Taxman to grill Montpelier clients :: Contractor UK

"a legal representative reportedly estimated 200 interviews under caution would be held this month."

Montp seem to be really in the crosshairs of hmrc at the moment - I presume due to their personal grievance with WG, but does anyone know if any of the other scheme promoters e.g. Steed are being similarly attacked from all angles? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SLB View Post
                Montp seem to be really in the crosshairs of hmrc at the moment - I presume due to their personal grievance with WG, but does anyone know if any of the other scheme promoters e.g. Steed are being similarly attacked from all angles? Thanks.
                HMRC have got it in personally for WG and Montpelier. It's a pity that HMRC can't behave with the professionalism of any other organisation.
                'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
                  HMRC have got it in personally for WG and Montpelier. It's a pity that HMRC can't behave with the professionalism of any other organisation.
                  Why can't AB and WG just go into a boxing ring and sort this out between them insist of dragging us into bankruptcy to settle their willy waving contest?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Why can't AB and WG just go into a boxing ring and sort this out between them insist of dragging us into bankruptcy to settle their willy waving contest?
                    BP, I think you have hit the nail on the head there!

Comment

Originally posted by smalldog View Post
                      BP, I think you have hit the nail on the head there!
                      I will act as WG's stand in if necessary. As long as AB promises not to lick me in the ring......

Comment

Working...
                      X