• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BettySwollocks View Post
    Maybe I should have been clearer: I did what you suggested yesterday re Discovery but I did it back in January...
    I would definitely write to them again, and send the letter special delivery so you can track it and find out exactly who signed for it.

I can't promise anything but, based on the two cases they have just conceded, you might get more joy this time.

Can you update us on how you get on.

Thanks
    DR

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      I would definitely write to them again, and send the letter special delivery so you can track it and find out exactly who signed for it.

I can't promise anything but, based on the two cases they have just conceded, you might get more joy this time.

Can you update us on how you get on.

Thanks
      DR
      Will do...

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
        Thanks BS81.
        You can just write to them using the FOI link and ask for copies of the original letters they sent you stating they were opening an enquiry into which ever year you want to check. I did that, and after a couple of months they did come back with the copies, one of them was 2 weeks before the window closed, but sadly none were outside the window...

this is the HMRC FOI link

HM Revenue & Customs: FOI Home Page

Comment

Reply from MP

Had a reply from my MP regarding the latest round of letter writing to Gauke and got the standard reply that others have already had, without addressing any of the actual points raised by the NTRT team.

On the positive side, my MP stated how disappointed he was with the response and is willing to do more to help when asked.

Whitehouse have all the details.

Comment

Originally posted by GBHuhd View Post
            You can just write to them using the FOI link and ask for copies of the original letters they sent you stating they were opening an enquiry into which ever year you want to check. I did that, and after a couple of months they did come back with the copies, one of them was 2 weeks before the window closed, but sadly none were outside the window...

this is the HMRC FOI link

HM Revenue & Customs: FOI Home Page
            Using that link won't work. You will get a reply telling you that a request for your personal tax info falls under The Data Protection Act, not The Freedom of Information Act.

Comment

Someone who understands - why is Gauke and his goons so stoopid

I am sure he would get a kick out of our circumstances:
              Is it worth NTRT approaching the author??

Macfarlanes
              United Kingdom: Retrospective Taxes Are Bad, Selective Retrospective Taxes Even Worse. Once Bitten, Twice Shy For The Chancellor?
              20 September 2012
              Article by Ashley Greenbank

Last Thursday, the Chancellor said in a Commons reply to Andrew Tyrie MP that retrospective taxes are acceptable where "the wishes of Parliament have been abused and avoided". But, as we are often told, tax avoidance costs the UK £billions each year. Yet, there have been only a few instances of retrospective taxes in the last 10 years. The selective use of retrospective tax laws leaves an unpleasant taste in the mouth for anyone who believes that respect for the law applies to Government as well as the people. What was the basis of selection and was it fair and even-handed? Why did more egregious cases of avoidance go unpunished?

So, there is a rule of law issue here. The right way to tackle tax avoidance is by passing laws which make it ineffective in the future. Retrospective legislation needs to be a last resort, reserved for those cases where ample warning has been given of an intention to legislate in specific circumstances. If the Chancellor is prepared to use retrospective taxes to negate all avoidance, there would be no need of the GAAR which he is about to introduce. There was, however, some poetic justice in the outcome of the last instance of retrospection. The Chancellor accused the Indian Government of using retrospective taxes against British investors in India, only to have the accusation thrown back in his face.

Comment

I got the standard Gauke brush off letter. More importantly though, a pledge of support from my MP and from a second MP who also waded in on my behalf. I'll update NTRT.

Comment

PM just forwarded Gauke letter on

Had a reply from my MP (Dave himself). Standard Gauke letter to him which he just forwarded with a 'love from Dave' slip attached to it. No personalisation.

Have forwarded to Whitehouse.

Comment

Dave Hartnett (HMRC) receives lifetime achievement award.

This brightened my day:

Black tie activists crash HMRC boss' retirement do - YouTube

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by BettySwollocks View Post
                      Will do...
                      Hi Betty

I'd like to have a go at this also as my first year's enquiry was opened 3 months past the 31st Jan 2004 deadline.

I am not sure which of the many tax office addresses I should write to. Also do we have any details of the tax payers who have set this excellent precedent ? I would have thought our best chance of getting the first year's bill conceded would be if we quote the precedent.

D

PS I got the annoying Gauke letter too indicating he doesn't want to talk to NTRT. Have forwarded to Whitehouse.

Comment

Working...
                      X