• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
    That's not a daft question when you think about it. Large Corporations engage lobbyists all the time. If my LtdCo could fund the contributions to Whitehouse I would happily increase the values commited by a further 50%. (ker-ching).

Is anyone able to provide guidance? I'll check with my Accountant later too.
    So why isn't MontP helping us?

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
      They say they don't want to be involved in lobbying while they are pursuing legal avenues.

And to be fair, the JR (HC, CoA, SC) will have already cost them a pretty penny, especially having to pick up HMRC's costs for all the proceedings.

They have just lodged an application with the European Court of Human Rights and they are committed to defending us through the Tax Courts.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractIn View Post
        No doubt they are... its just that there is a leak amongst us with information getting into the wrong hands......... allegedly
        MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Originally posted by TAF4 View Post
          That's not a daft question when you think about it. Large Corporations engage lobbyists all the time. If my LtdCo could fund the contributions to Whitehouse I would happily increase the values commited by a further 50%. (ker-ching).

Is anyone able to provide guidance? I'll check with my Accountant later too.
          It's unlikely - unless you win as then you may have a chance to appeal to HMRC's good nature (given the case involves them though, I doubt they will grant any concession!).

From HMRC:

You should disallow the expenses incurred directly in connection with appeals to the Commissioners or the Courts against IT, CT or CGT assessments.

BIM46455 - Specific deductions: professional fees: tax, rating & VAT appeals

Finlay J having decided that the issue involved consideration of what is now ICTA88/S74 (1)(a) goes on to describe what is required for the expenditure to come within what is now ICTA88/S74 (1)(a), ‘wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade’. Not every expense, which a prudent trader meets, is deductible. Finlay J relies on the House of Lords dicta in Strong & Co of Romsey Ltd v Woodifield [1906] 5TC215 (see BIM37300). Finlay J says that the statutory test means that it is not enough that the expense should arise out of, or be connected with, the trade, but the expense should be for the purpose of earning the profits of the trade.

BIM37840 - Wholly & exclusively: expense of earning or application of profits?: legal costs in connection with an appeal

Lord Porter then explained why the specific costs claimed in this case were not allowable; the costs were incurred solely for the purpose of ascertaining a tax liability and nothing else.

Wholly & exclusively: expense of earning or application of profits?: accountancy fees in connection with an appeal
          ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by moira under the stairs View Post
            No doubt they are... its just that there is a leak amongst us with information getting into the wrong hands......... allegedly
            If there is a leak does it really matter? The legal arguments have to be put forward in the pre trial submissions anyway so sooner or later the other side will get all the information anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Yes, because the amendment was tabled during committee stage then withdrawn. The bill then went on to complete its 3rd reading in Parliament and became law closing off that avenue.

Im afraid someone cocked up somewhere with this amendment. Some people said it was a 'probing' amendment and it was part of the plan for it to be withdrawn. But, the objective of a probing amendment is to obtain a Government concession not, as some claimed, to raise an awareness (an 'awareness' that gained the square root of nothing) of an issue.
              I think that is misleading. Here is a definition of a 'probing amendment', albeit for the Scottish Parliament. See section 4.2

Part Four: Amendments - Parliamentary Business : *Scottish Parliament

The probing amendment was a success as far as it went - it's just a shame that there was not more time for the matter to be debated. However, another oppertunity will be found.

It is rather unfair for BB to state that someone 'cocked up' and perhaps BB would like to reconisder his post?
              There's an elephant wondering around here...

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                If there is a leak does it really matter? The legal arguments have to be put forward in the pre trial submissions anyway so sooner or later the other side will get all the information anyway.
                IANAL - but I have fought a few legal battles. My Mackenzie friend (who is generally considered the best in the family court field) reckons you keep your cards as close as you can for as long as possible. You hope your research is a bit better than the other sides.

Also, during the JR the on the other side kept producing messages from the forum. I wonder why?

Here is a quote for court - I am going to <mod snip : any more of this BP and you will be banned>
                Last edited by cojak; 19 August 2012, 17:54. Reason: We haven't snipped, BP. HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  IANAL - but I have fought a few legal battles. My Mackenzie friend (who is generally considered the best in the family court field) reckons you keep your cards as close as you can for as long as possible. You hope your research is a bit better than the other sides.

Also, during the JR the on the other side kept producing messages from the forum. I wonder why?

Here is a quote for court - I am going to <mod snip : any more of this BP and you will be banned>
                  and your friend is correct BP, all arguements best kept close to chest until the final moment. For the other, whilst depression sets in we still have to keep our refraint. Apparently its not personal and we weren't targetted unfairly .. even though it feels very much like we were .... and still are, otherwise there'd have been private negotiation and a deal offered long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                    naivety at its best
                    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Makes my blood boil

It's not personal why we are being treated like we are - so they say.

However, I does make your blood boil when you read this kind of report:

How much longer can Google escape the UK tax system? | News | PC Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X