• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax – Campaign Against Section 58 Finance Act 2008

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    How dare you accuse me of 'just sitting back'! I've been active in this campaign since day 1.

Do not confuse criticism with someone pointing out under the an authoritive book on the (unwritten) British Constitution & Politics what a probing amendment is.

If you and others wish to depend on a google definition of it, fine. But once again, the purpose of a probing amendment is to elicit a concession from Government on a bill during its passage through its stages. It is not merely to raise an awarenes of an issue.

wooow... steady on we do not need in fighting.... I'm not sure if people are getting post Olympic blues here, everyone is entitled to have an opinion even if all do not agree. we are all in this together, members or not (apart from you know who..) try to keep civil and be united against the system.
    MUTS likes it Hot

Comment

Question

Probing amendment or no probing amendment BB quoted

[QUOTE=BolshieBastard;1592669]Yes, because the amendment was tabled during committee stage then withdrawn. The bill then went on to complete its 3rd reading in Parliament and became law closing off that avenue.

Is this correct?

Comment

[QUOTE=Corrian;1593330]Probing amendment or no probing amendment BB quoted

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
        Yes, because the amendment was tabled during committee stage then withdrawn. The bill then went on to complete its 3rd reading in Parliament and became law closing off that avenue.

Is this correct?
        Yes but there is nothing stopping us tabling another amendment in a different bill.

Comment

[QUOTE=DonkeyRhubarb;1593332]
          Originally posted by Corrian View Post
          Probing amendment or no probing amendment BB quoted

Yes but there is nothing stopping us tabling another amendment in a different bill.
          Is correct.

But the original question was regarding the one just gone. I could expand but I wont as Im not intending antagonising anyone, unlike santa and his \ her disgraceful comment.

Toodle - loo
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

For anyone who requires it, an updated toolkit and MP's briefing document (with grammatical corrections) is now available in the members section of the website.

Cheers

Santa
            'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
            Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
              For anyone who requires it, an updated toolkit and MP's briefing document (with grammatical corrections) is now available in the members section of the website.

Cheers

Santa
              Thanks Santa.

I have sent off the letter and briefing note and contributed another wedge to the campaign. I felt that Gauke's latest letter had been more carefully drafted than previous correspondence. This pleased me - we must be starting to rattle them. I'm extremely grateful for the point by point rebuttal of his letter in the briefing note, an excellent piece of work.

Do you think the taxman would object to my limited company making NTRT contributions ?

D

Comment

Originally posted by Douglas View Post
                Do you think the taxman would object to my limited company making NTRT contributions ?
                That's not a daft question when you think about it. Large Corporations engage lobbyists all the time. If my LtdCo could fund the contributions to Whitehouse I would happily increase the values commited by a further 50%. (ker-ching).

Is anyone able to provide guidance? I'll check with my Accountant later too.

Comment

Thanks Santa.

I have sent off the letter and briefing note and contributed another wedge to the campaign. I felt that Gauke's latest letter had been more carefully drafted than previous correspondence. This pleased me - we must be starting to rattle them. I'm extremely grateful for the point by point rebuttal of his letter in the briefing note, an excellent piece of work.

D
                  Good stuff, Douglas.

I think we are definitely rattling Gauke. HMRC through their puppet, Gauke, are trying very hard to justify their untenable position now.

I wish the NTRT contributions were tax deductible. Would be interested to know if anyone has a definitive answer to this!
                  'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
                  Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Thanks Santa.

D
                    Replay from my local MP, he has written to Gauke and suggested a meeting with NTRT campaigners.

thanks everyone.

Comment

NTRT Meeting

Gauke is really struggling to avoid a meeting with NTRT, I get the impression the pressure to meet is building, how much longer can he dodge this I wonder! good stuff...

Comment

Working...
                      X